Friday, August 14, 2020

August Sweeps - Day 196

If I force myself to keep going, in four days I'll have been writing for two hundred days in a row.  Crazy.

I had intended to go to the park today to write (it would've been three days this week), even going so far as loading my laptop into the car and heading out.  But I decided I wanted some exercise* instead.  So I came home and once again pumped up the inflatable canoe (there has GOT to be a better way to do it than filling it up at home, putting it in the back of my dad's truck, and hoping it doesn't fall off on the drive to the lake) to head to the water before it got too dark.

Both of my nephews wanted to come along--the oldest so he could fish (I swear, this kid is more obsessed with fishing than I am with women who are inappropriately young for me) and the nine year old so he could go out on the water.  This was actually the earliest we've made it there, which isn't saying much, but we at least got a half hour or so of rafting before it was too dark to continue.  Because the twelve year old never comes in when I tell him it's time, he made me a deal where he'd give me ten dollars, and if he could only get it back if he came in the first time I told him to do so.  When we got to the lake, I asked where the ten bucks were.  He told me he forgot to bring them, so he said I could have his phone instead.

It's nice to have two new phones, and one without a cracked screen even.

The above was a photo I took the last time I was at the cabin.  There's a story behind it, but my laptop is wanting to reboot, so I don't have time to tell it.  I think it would make a pretty good cover image (I took several, some where you could read the words and some where the fire obscured them), but we'll see.

This was my fourth trip to the lake this year (fourth in four years too), but it was the first time I didn't take any pictures.  As the sun was going down and its reflection was orange on the water, I did wish I'd brought my camera, but I tend to get wet enough when I go on the canoe that I left it in the truck.  My nephew was not as clear-thinking, and got his phone quite wet by leaving it in his pocket.  It seemed fine though.  Hopefully when I sell it to GameStop tomorrow they don't notice any water damage or fishy smell to it. 

Because of that, it was another one of those days where I had zero words written by the time night arrived.  Instead of complaining about it, I'll simply say that I did my sit-ups, went on my run, and forced myself to write before sitting down and watching "Agents of SHIELD," a truly awful episode I'd recorded back in July sometime.  

Sit-ups Today: 111
Sit-ups In August: 2659

Words Today: 906
Words In August: 13,668

*I kid you not, I originally typed "I decided I wanted some sex instead" before catching it and fixing it.  Dr. Freud would not be pleased.

No comments: