Tuesday, August 04, 2020

August Sweeps - Day 186


Ugh.  Blogger has changed its format and way of publishing posts.  That means every time I try to open one, I have to Unpublish it, and the date tries to screw me.  Perhaps the gods want me to stop blogging every day.

I would be quite happy to oblige them, but how else would you find out about my butt crack problems and unrequited crushes?  

Today was my early day, but when my alarm went off at 7:15, someone in the room said, "Eff this noise" and hit the Snooze button.  Can't imagine who it was (honestly, do you know anybody else who would say "Eff this noise?").  But hey, it was still an early day for me.

I got some work done and went to Target--the greatest of the big box stores--and made myself some soup and drove over to the park to lay out my blanket and force myself to write.  It was in the high nineties today, but not quite as hot as it has been.  Out of self-destructive spite, I forced myself to take off my shirt and run up and down the stairs before I allowed myself to go home.  And that was hard, not because of the stairs, but because of self-consciousness.

As far as the writing went, I thought I did pretty well (easily a thousand words), but when I did the word count just now, it was only 903.  I also wrote two paragraphs of brainstorming how "Hatchling" could end,* but those don't count for word count.  

Basically, the story is about two teenaged neighbors that discover an egg on a mountain and fall in love one Arizona summer.  Yesterday, I started writing their first fight, and today I finished it, but it didn't go anywhere other than a brief moment where he was angry at her and she considered walking away, but decided to stick with him instead.  Right now, I am thinking that they will break up once school starts, he will go through an endless procession of substitute girlfriends (he started out as a skinny thirteen year old and has somehow evolved into my Uncle John in less than a month), and she will go to the Homecoming dance with a backwards Rish Outfield-type boy in her Journalism class.  Then a big fire on the mountain will happen (in October or so), and they put aside their break-up to go see if the hatchling is alright.  And then . . . it just ends?**

Like I said, that's just what I've been thinking about.  Tuesdays are the days I go do my run while it's still daylight out, so I'll think about it while I suffer. 

Wow, if anything, that was an understatement.  It was rough today, but I did it, and that made me feel like a success.  Got in a lot of sit-ups too.  If only it was for some reason.

Sit-ups Today: 222
Sit-ups In August: 655

I went to my cousin's, and he had another of those energy drinks waiting for me, before I got sleepy.  It was wise too, because we made it all the way through the evening, and then some, and when I got home (at 2:30), I wrote a little more, actually breaking up Rick and Talia, for the most spurious reason I can think of.  No reason those two should be any happier than you or me, right?

Words Today: 1469
Words In August: 3157

*I think one of my goals for August is either to finish it or figure out its ending, I forget.

**Yeah, that's what I'm thinking: it just ends.

No comments: