Saturday, March 07, 2020

March Sweeps - Day 36


I intended to sit down and record last night, so that I'd have something to publish, but when I looked at the clock, it was 1:30, and I decided to go to sleep instead (and it was totally weird when I woke up this morning and it was six-something and still dark . . . what do people do at that time?). But today, I grabbed my file for the short story "Fatherless Child" and formatted it, getting it ready to record tonight instead. That might be the next one I publish, and maybe I'll just find a picture of a baby and ask Big or Gino to put text over it.

I considered going to the storage unit today and doing this thing I came up with on Sunday where I talk about why I love a song (what it means to me) before I sing it.  I had the perfect one in mind (although different from the one on Sunday) . . . but then I found the item I had to ship, so I didn't need to go to the locker anyway.  Maybe tomorrow.

As far as writing goes, I hit the library hard right before it closed today, and dang, I'm super close to finishing my story "Who You Gonna Call." The problem is, the whole thing is set up . . . for nothing. Absolutely nothing.

It was conceived of by me as a joke, like a funny April Fools Day story idea, and then when I actually started writing it, I thought it would be interesting to check in on my main "Dead & Breakfast" characters when they're in their regular life, away from the Noble Oaks B&B. Natalie is dating some dumb himbo, Mason is trying to get his car fixed, Meechelle is, well, she's at work (since she works days). And the story just kept going. It felt like it was building to something.


So, I had this idea for the next D&B story, and I thought I'd take that central conceit (when you've got a haunted house that's crazy-haunted one day of the year, what do the ghosts do the rest of the year?) and stick some of it in this story. I'm sure it didn't work, but the only thing I can think to do is write one more scene before the last one, and that will make the story even longer (I think it's around 7000 words right now).

I think about the stories whenever I go running, and what I've got to do is come up with at least one more scary ghost idea, since I'm sick of the friendly, comforting, wistful, sexy, tragic, and mischievous ghosts that seem to be haunting the bed and breakfast. I consider thinking about writing more productive than thinking about how much I hate running.

Last Saturday was the first day since I installed this running app that I went for a run and it claimed I hadn't achieved my daily steps. I was upset because I saw how low the count was, so I ran an extra two blocks. But still, nothing doing.

So today is Saturday again, and . . . it's doing it again. I went for my run, and it says I'm way under my goal. I told Big about it and he asked me, "What's the name of this Hitler app of yours?"

I tried to think of something clever*, but the best I could come up with was, The Third Hike. Ah well, the app still sucks.

I recorded a little bit of audio yesterday for my blog, and I edited it just now. I was going to post it here, but I think I'll post it tomorrow, along with a couple of pictures I took.

See you then.

Since it's the seventh today, I thought I'd throw in my total-total.

Words Today: 2,398
Words In March: 11,341

Words Total: 59,293

*Something like The Final Volution, but that doesn't really make sense.

No comments: