Monday, March 02, 2020

February Sweeps - Day 31


I got some dental work today, for the first time in about a dozen years.  I had three cavities, and filing them down or scraping them out or filling them in (whatever they do with cavities) was a bit painful, in that way drilling on teeth is.  But the major reason I went was to get my broken half-retainer taken off.  It's been on pretty much my adult life (Clinton was in the White House when it was attached), and about eight years ago, one of the caps and the wire connecting them broke off in my mouth*, and I was unable to get the other cap off my tooth.  So I had a silver tooth for several years.

So many years that, it looks strange to see that tooth bare and unsilvered.  I wonder how long it will take to get used to the tooth tooth.  It's possible that teeth are underrated.

While I was waiting for my appointment, I wrote in my notebook, and even though (like yesterday), I feel no official need to write every day, I still managed to sit down and jot down a few paragraphs on yet another "Dead & Breakfast" story.  This is one I came up with while doing my extra long run on Saturday, the one that didn't count toward my app's step count.  It's about one of the characters who shows up in my very first story, "True Ghost Encounter," which actually took place the year after all the stories I've written in 2019 and 2020, where a girl named Meechelle is behind the reception desk at the haunted bed and breakfast, rather than the two characters I introduced in "The Night Clerk."

Eventually, I will have to explain why Natalie Whitmore and Mason Bradley** were not working that night, and that makes me sad, because I love writing about them.  I wish I had as much interest in writing about ghosts as I do about writing about those two young people with pulses.

So, my goals in March are to publish the second "Lara and the Witch" book, and to in March, I will try my best to publish the next story in the "Dead & Breakfast" series, "Three-Time Visitor" and/or the one I wrote after that, "Never Let Him Go."  We'll see.

I should set as my goal to do the script I'm being paid to do.  I must be mentally ill not to have completed it by now.  I should've gone to the library tonight and made myself work on it until I had a first draft done (I'm contracted to do a first draft, a rewrite, and a polish).  But I didn't.

I also need to work on my meteorite story (the one with the Anklevich Ending), but I happened to stop just as the bloodletting was beginning.  I am distressingly weird.

I had this idea on Saturday of doing an extended Storage Unit Serenade, where I record myself talking about a particular song and why it means something to me before I sing it.  I nearly did a Radiohead one that day, and a Crash Test Dummies one yesterday.  But I did neither.  Would these videos interest anybody other than me?

Are you aware that there's a "High School: The Musical: The Series?"  While I've never watched an episode, it would be fun to work on that.  Imagine how much writing I'd get done.

Oh, and don't forget to support me on Patreon.  I recorded audio versions of my three favorite blog stories from February, just to stick in this month's address.

Words Today: 1530
Words This Month: 2612


*I think I was biting into a homeless man at the time--but don't worry, he was passed out (or maybe dead, depending on how hard I hit him with the bottle).

**I established, in his very first appearance, that Mason likes to read, and that he's a big fan of the Fantasy genre.  Today, I had him refer to a book by . . . guess which Fantasy writer?  Yes, that one.  Seemed only fair.

No comments: