Friday, March 20, 2020

February Sweeps - Day 49


No writing today, beotches!!

Well, not so far.

You may be curious if people are buying action figures during this pandemic/Corona virus thing.  And to my surprise, I sold ten figures just today, and a few last night.  My sister seemed dubious that anyone would want to buy toys when outside, it's raining men (halleluiah), but my suspicion is that a lot of people are stuck indoors right now, and are enjoying watching TV and playing video games and worshiping The Goat With A Thousand Young . . . and collecting action figures.

And thank goodness, since I'll inevitably have that costly ticket to pay, for going 97 in an 80 zone.

I went for a good long run tonight, just after sunset.  After a day of accomplishing almost nothing fulfilling today, I thought I would try to run a full mile without stopping or walking.  I surprised myself that I was able to do it, but with no one around to see me, did it really happen?  I tried thinking about writing while I ran, but instead I thought about all the songs I'd like to sing at the storage unit in the next few weeks (went twice this week, and was listening to today's recording, and the damned wind was blowing during half the song!  I might have to go again tomorrow and redo it, loathe as I am to do so*).

I edited a bit today, nearly finishing a "Twilight Groan" (my first one recorded in 2020) and about half done with our next That Gets My Goat.  Since there were no takers on the Dunesteef story I edited, I guess I'll just have Big Anklevich listen to it.  He kind of has to anyway.

I also noticed that my story for the Journey Into... Journey contest is due in about ten days.  I really ought to sit down and read that through tonight, so I have plenty of time to revise if I need to.  I also started editing the Lara and the Witch audiobook, and I'm missing Chapter 2.  I have the Prologue, Chapter 1, 3,4, and 5, but no 2.  I ought to record (or re-record) that tonight.  And then maybe "Three-Time Visitor" should get recorded too.  Not that I'm going to do any of those things: I haven't written yet.

I would've gone to the library today, if it had been open.  I did go to the park to eat my lunch, but didn't write, and only went up and down the stairs a single time.

I got a very nice message today from a fan, saying that she appreciated my stories and though she considered herself a creative person, she could never just "make up stories" like I seem to do.  She told me not to underestimate my abilities.  And that made me feel good.

I sat down and recorded three chapters of that audiobook, and with the little additions that I put in here and there, I probably have clocked less than a hundred words tonight (and it's 1:14am).  That's bad, isn't it?  I'm going to sit down and record one or two more chapters, since I'm not tired.

I looked at myself in the mirror a couple of minutes ago, and though I have one hair on my forehead that keeps coming in white (I always pluck it when I see it), I have been pretty lucky not to age as fast as some of the people around me.**  I've got some lines around my eyes, and white hairs in my beard, but I have been lucky to stay young-looking all these years (my friend Mick, who I haven't seen for nineteen years, claims I look exactly the same as I did then, and I never tire of telling the story of being twenty-six years old and being cast as a Middle Schooler in a TV show when I moved to L.A.--a middle schooler is, apparently, twelve to fourteen years old).

Just today, there was a pretty delightful lady that I saw--a good social distancing distance away, mind you--grooving out to Ice Ice Baby by Vani--aw, you know who it's by.  Anyway, she caught me looking, and to put her at ease, I too sang along, "Will it ever stop?  Yo, I don't know.  Turn off the lights, and I'll glow," etc.  And she said, "Oh, so you like this song too?  I thought I was the only one who still did."  And I said, "I'm actually old enough to like it unironically."  And she said, "You don't look like you're old enough to have been alive when it came out."

Which is really a (second) very nice thing for someone to say to me today.

We're only as old as we feel, ladies and gentlemen.  Word to your mother.

Words Today: 522 (which is terrible result, after over an hour of recording four chapters)
Words In March: 26,831

*Today's was my most elaborate production to date too, with a sort of costume and everything.

**I'll often watch a black and white movie, where there's a man in his fifties as one of the main characters, and invariably someone will mention that he is thirty-eight.  Or thirty-five.  Or thirty.

No comments: