Saturday, March 14, 2020

February Sweeps - Day 43

Well, along with my nephew's school, I just heard that the library is closed for the rest of the month.  There goes my word count.  But hey, it was a darn good run, and it took a pandemic to stop me.  Or it will, if it stops me.

I called Big Anklevich this morning, and I guess I misunderstood when he said, "Let me switch the phone to hands-free," because I started saying all this stuff that I probably shouldn't have, the way I would if it were just him and me (including, "My uncle with the bride younger than his daughters is really living the dream, huh?" and "Gosh, do you remember how hot your wife was when you first met her?" and "I hope the prostitutes in town don't get Covid-19 for a good long time, for my sake," and "I sure could use a few lines of cocaine right now, like we shared at your dad's funeral," and "You tell that daughter of yours she's not too old for a spanking.  Oooh, I'd like permission to spank her myself, if you don't mind me subbing for you in that regard").  At one point, he was reacting strangely, such as when he said, "No, I never helped you kill that itinerant preacher, that must've been someone else," and I said, "No, no, it was all your idea to murder him in the first place, you stupid bast . . . wait, am I on speakerphone?"

It turned out that not only had his wife been listening in to our conversation, but also his three children, including the daughter I offered to . . . uh, discipline not-at-all-inappropriately.  It's hard to remember exactly how much I said that should not have been overheard, and maybe that's for the best.  I imagine we were both equally mortified, but I am still kind of reeling over that, and will probably avoid calling him for the next couple days.


This was the hardest writing day since I started this.  I didn't get to it by the end of the day, and I was tired, and I absolutely didn't want to do it.  I laid down on my uncle's pull-out bed, and closed my eyes, to just let myself go to sleep (this was a little bit past midnight, maybe close to one, which is early for me, but I was tired).

And then, I opened them again and laid there, thinking, asking myself if I would let myself sleep or force myself to write.  There would be no consequences if I went to sleep, and there would be no benefit if I got up and worked.  It was touch-and-go there, and I actually surprised myself when I sat up and woke up my computer to write, just for a couple of minutes, just enough to say that I had written something.

But once I started, I did alright, and sort of got into it, even though this story stopped being fun--oh, about as soon as I came up with it.  But I wrote through until I got to the end, and then typed this bit.  I'll go to sleep now, but hey, I wrote again when I didn't think I would.  Do you love me, now that I can dance?

Watch me now.  I can Mash Potatoes, I can do the Twist.

Words Today: 1,204
Words This Month: 18,064

2 comments:

BeastVigilante said...

Basically the same thing happened at work this week but was directed to a co-worker. Should make Monday lovely. I am mortified. Almost as mortified as the time the brother of my boss asked me if I had a sec and I responded "I have lots of secs". Apparently the all- of -a -sudden quiet small office was not aware that I had many seconds available to assist with his question....

Rish Outfield said...

That's pretty good, Beast. And I hear you: there's absolutely not enough secs in the day. Or the night.