Wednesday, March 11, 2020

February Sweeps - Day 40


I haven't written today, and it's really hard to stay awake.  I might not get to it.

I did briefly go for a jog, but came home early.  Maybe I should run again (it's been very nice weather the last week or so, and like all of this--the writing, the passion, the exercise, the inspiration--I will miss it when it's gone).

But so far, no words today.

I did sit down and do a podcast with my niece, though, for the first time in 2020.  That means I can post the next show and get to work on the one after.*

I may not write, as I said, and I really don't care much.  I have decided to publish a short story today, come hell or high water.  Maybe, when I'm done, I'll write something down, just a few words.  But I'm doing all that I can to de-prioritize getting cover art done, which Big Anklevich mentioned to me today is really my bête noire. He also mentioned that he quite enjoys creating cover art.

So, what I was going to do was just create a basic placeholder, like this:

Then, when I had time (and the inclination), I'd swap it out with a better cover, maybe something Gino had made for me.

But I took a picture of my nephew and me tonight, just as the sun was setting, where we're only in silhouette, and I decided to use that for my placeholder for "Fatherless Child." It may not be good, but it's better than just white with black text.


But you know, I think it looks great. It's not anything like what the story is about--oh, and that might be a problem--but for another story, wow, that would be a great cover.

And lastly, that brings me to "Who Can It Be Now?" The other night, I forced myself to do a pencil drawing of how I wanted the cover to look. I meant to give it to Gino and ask if he would "fix it for me," which means, make it look better than it is, maybe swap elements out, I dunno.


But for now, I'm just going to use the drawing and publish the darn thing. I have no idea why this is such a chore for me.



Well, it's getting late, and I only have two hundred or so words today.  A part of me actually cares about that (it's small, but it's definitely there).  Let's see what I can come up with in the next quarter-hour or so.

Well, very very little.  But tomorrow, I'm going out of town, and I will try to make the best of it, treating everywhere I go like the local library.

Words Today: 1120
Words Total: 14,991

*But boy, isn't that the case with everything?  I just finished a Rish Outcast, and we just posted a That Gets My Goat, and it's time to get started on the next one of both of those.

No comments: