Tuesday, September 29, 2020

September Sweeps - Day 241


So, I finally heard back from Audible about the second Lara and the Witch piece ("You're In Good Hands").  They rejected it, which shouldn't really surprise me.  What does is that I submitted it in April, and they got back to me on it the last week in September.  That's unconscionable, and the rejection is only the rotten cherry on top of the diarrhea sundae.  I think I could fix the two little things they complained about in an hour or so, except I just don't care anymore.  I finished that audiobook months ago, and would rather not throw more time at it.

Of course, I've got an episode of the Rish Outcast promoting it just ready to to go, and if I can get them to approve the file soon, it could drop right after the next show.  I could show off my new Indiana Jones "Lost Episode" intro (meet the new intro, same as the old intro).  And the irony is, I'll probably make more money from the episode advertising "You're In Good Hands" than the audiobook itself.  Irony's funny that way.

Sit-ups Today: 166
Sit-ups In September: 4333

I'm going to the cabin for sure tomorrow, maybe I can muster the whatever-the-opposite-of-apathy-is to see if I can polish that turd one more time.  I'll let you know.*

As far as that goes, I really ought to get something published in audio, if only so it's out of my hands.  If someone wants to listen through my latest three hour project to find errors for me, I'll send it right over.

I went to my cousin's after it got dark, and we watched the newest episode of "Star Trek: Lower Decks." It's the animated tribute/parody, and the show has really grown on me.  I still like the main character least of the four (she very nearly made me quit the show halfway through the second episode), but I do laugh in every episode.  And I've started to believe that it's a series made by people who love Star Trek, rather than by people who hate it (which is a criticism that's been leveled at every piece of modern "Trek," from J.J. Abrams's movies to, especially, "Discovery").  

I guess I ought to wonder if people who listen to my Star Wars sketches (and stories) think I don't like Star Wars, but I don't really care what they think.  I've heard far too many people refer to the Prequels as "misunderstood genius" to give a steaming Bantha patty what any of the fans say.  

Push-ups Today: 52
Push-ups In September: 1150

I got together with Renee last night to record my sketch for the next "Delusions of Grandeur" show.  I was quite proud of it (hence actually getting Renee to do it with me, rather than shrugging it off like the two previous sketches I wrote).  However, it didn't seem all that funny to me as we were recording it, but that could just be my own neuroses talking.  

Also, I was displeased to discover that ten or eleven of my character's lines began with "Well," like I was an old Ronald Reagan impression.  I even vaguely remember taking out a couple of wells the last time I looked through it, so there would've been even more.

Hopefully, other people (all three listeners to "DoG") find it as funny as it was in my head.

After our recording, I spoke to Renee a little bit, and I'm simply in awe of her output as a professional narrator.  She told me she's starting on her 200th audiobook, either Monday night or Tuesday, and it was due at the end of the week.  That boggles my mind.  She seemed really interested in telling me about her experiences, so I told her I'd like to sit with her and do an episode where we talk about her process and what she's learned.  Maybe I'll write up a few questions to ask her, but she seems keen just to talk, so why not?

I type this at 3:25pm, and I've already got thirty words written today.  Would be nice if I didn't stop there.

Words Today: 923
Words In September: 30,635

*At the very least, it might inspire me to work on the third "Lara and the Witch" story, which is about a third done and is set a couple of years after the first two.

2 comments:

spaceVulture said...

Don't let Audible get you down Rish. There's a credit I'm saving for your Laura and the Witch audiobook.

Rish Outfield said...

Thanks! I did submit it a third time (with the fixes they requested/demanded), and ended up writing another story in the series, so I look forward to sharing it with you.