Sunday, September 06, 2020

September Sweeps - Day 218

About twenty-five years ago, I wrote a letter to my friend Jeff urging him to try to live his life with "never a wasted day."  I had heard that lyric in a song, and it spoke to me . . . and I guess it still does, for me to have thought about it again today.*

Because I think today was pretty much wasted.

Oh, I still did my run and my exercise and wrote and worked for a couple (maybe four) hours at the end of the night, but I spent most of the day driving around, listening to the very last Patrick Rothfuss book of the rest of my life, going to GameStop stores in the next town over, and the town after that, and the town after that.

And the town after that.

It was truly a gross day, looks-wise, as the sky was grey in every direction from wildfires, it was hot and humid, and the very air you breathe is a poison fume.


It was folly, but it's what I chose to do with my day.

In my travels, I saw a dude wearing a shirt that read "Running Doesn't Suck."  I remember earlier in the year, seeing (and photographing) a shirt that said "Running Sucks..."


But I couldn't figure this one out.  It was a fat guy who was wearing the shirt, so I didn't know if it was meant to be ironic or if I just wasn't getting it.  It's possible that he really liked running, and that's simply what the shirt was about.

Afterward, in Target, I saw a shirt that said this:


It reminded me of the shirt a year or so back that so horrified me, the one that said, "Breaking News: I don't care."  The one my niece said every girl at her school wore . . . three years ago.

Well, this one was similar, so I sent it to Cathexis and asked if she wanted me to buy it for her.  She texted back and said I should get it for myself.

But I don't want it.  Not because it's assholey (which it is) . . . but because there should be a question mark on it.  If you're going to be a dick, at least do it grammatically.

Sit-ups Today: 100
Sit-ups In September: 782

Push-ups Today: 30
Push-ups  In September: 165

You know, I thought it would be clever to just do a single extra push-up each day, figuring that by the end of the month, I'd be good and strong, but I'm not sure if this is helping me.  It's harder to do twenty-five push-ups than a hundred sit-ups.  Is that case for everyone, or is my body just used to doing sit-ups?

Words Today: 762
Words In September: 7363

*To be honest, I think about that lyric all the time, whether I want to or not.

No comments: