Sunday, September 13, 2020

September Sweeps - Day 225

 

Today I spoke to Big while he was in Louisiana, cleaning up some hurricane destruction.  He told me he'd seen the DORA THE EXPLORER movie (so hot), and that it wasn't bad.  We talked for a little while about being assigned to turn a children's franchise like that into a movie, and how, if you try to make too good a movie out of your cartoon, toyline, or video game, you will only piss off the target audience.  We then talked about the TRANSFORMERS franchise, and how utterly septic those films are, but that nobody cares (and the one film they actually tried to make a good movie, the Bumblebee one?  Well, no one went to that).  

So we talked about what we would do if we were handed the keys to turning Bratz dolls or "Bubble Guppies" or "Yo Gabba Gabba" or Shopkins into a movie, and I honestly don't know if I could do it.  Except for one.  "Monster High."  That could make an excellent live-action movie, and I'm surprised they haven't tried it.

In the months before it got too hot, I'd go on a hike every Sunday.  Then, I went with my high school friends Rhett and Dennis, and poor Dennis was ready for death before we got out of there.  I decided that it was hot enough to take a little break from hiking, and I've only gone on one since then.

But it's starting to cool down, and I ought to at least consider getting back on the horse (or mountain) this month.  Unfortunately, it is wildfire/forest fire season all across this part of the country, and the air quality is really, really bad because of it.  It makes for great sunsets, but who would want to go hiking in it?

I did take my bike out and ride it down toward the lake, but I popped the back tire and that ended my trip pretty fast.  I tried riding it with a flat, then got off and wheeled it for another couple of blocks, but then the tube started coming out, tangling with the spokes, and the back tire wouldn't move anymore.  So, instead of carrying my bike the two miles I had left to go, I abandoned it in a vacant lot beside the road.

I jogged home, and got the truck to go retrieve the bike.  I was almost disappointed to discover the bike was still where I left it, because I had been thinking that, if it were stolen, I could buy one of those really light aluminum ones, and have a good time with that.  I'm so lazy that I would rather buy a new bike than have to buy a new tube and put it on the old bike . . . all so I can get a little exercise.

Speaking of which:

Sit-ups Today: 100
Sit-ups In September: 1762

I also went on my regular run last night, and had absolutely no trouble foot-wise.  While I recognize that as I get older (and older and oooooooooolder), I'm going to ache more and more, and when I hurt myself it will last longer and longer, but it's good to be reminded when you feel good for a change.  My Uncle Len is constantly in pain, and my mom says he will be for the rest of his life.  I can't imagine that, and I guess it's time to count my blessings that my biggest problems in life are shiftlessness, regret, an existence of no worth to anyone, and an occasional almost crippling loneliness.  Not bad, eh? 

Push-ups Today: 37
Push-ups In September: 437

The damned push-ups have not gotten easier.  I don't know what's happening there, since I could do twice as many six months ago than I can do now.  Only thirty-seven push-ups should not be a great effort, should it?  Maybe on Wednesday, instead of going sit-up crazy (as is my tradition), I'll see if I can get a hundred or so push-ups in.  Joy.

So, we've finally come to this.  It's 2:52am, and I have only written 179 words today.  I can barely stay awake, indeed, after typing "awake," I closed my eyes for the briefest of seconds, and now the clock says it's 2:36am.  Scary.

I forced it, not a lot, but some.

Words Today: 660
Words In September: 15,231
(I'm still ahead!)

No comments: