Tuesday, September 08, 2020

September Sweeps - Day 220

Two hundred and twenty days in a row.  If I wrote only one word on each of those days, why, we'd be over two hundred words by now.  Not bad, kid, not bad.

Today was my early day (I know I keep bringing that up, but a) what else can I do, I've been blogging 221 days in a row!, and b) it really is unique for me, to get up early one day a week.  You'd think I was doing it for a girl or something.

But why am I doing any of this, really?

Oh yeah.  Death . . . on the horizon.  Seems like that horse of his is awfully unhealthy-looking.  Or maybe just pale.

Thing is, I felt pretty motivated today.  After it being nearly a hundred (and miserable) on Sunday, here we are, two days later, and it was down to the upper forties/lower fifties (and miserable).  It felt like winter had arrived today, it was so grey and ugly outside.*  Somebody told me this morning that they love weather like this, and it really struck me as a better outlook on life than I have, where the gloominess of the outside affects me inside.

Encouraged by this, or perhaps just to spite myself, I tried to view the positive of the day, and I did what I could to get as much done as possible, working until the afternoon, then heading over to the library, where I jacked into one of their computers and pounded out inspired words until around a hundred minutes had passed.

One more day like today, and I'll have finished the Natalie model story (which still needs a title).  Then I can go on to one of my goals for the month: Write a Good Story.**

Tomorrow, I'm going to the cabin again, even though I fear it's going to be terribly cold (it was 49 degrees when I woke up last Thursday morning, and I'll bet it'll be ten degrees colder this Thursday).  Luckily, there's plenty of firewood and sit-ups to keep me warm.

Sit-ups Today: 130
Sit-ups In September: 1062

Push-ups Today: 32
Push-ups In September: 228

Like I said, I talked to somebody who absolutely loves the gross weather--and loves every one of the seasons equally, unlike me, who feels depression clawing at the door and windowframes, looking for a point of ingress.  And it made me think I could use that as a story element in the next project I write.  I'd been kicking around the idea--

Oh, do you remember that really pretty girl that was getting married to a really pretty guy, and they started a weekly V-log for the first year of being together?  Well, after the one I turned off back in, March or April, was it?, I never went back there again.  But I did look at her Instagram yesterday, and she had done a video celebrating her two month wedding anniversary, mostly with footage from the big wedding shindig they threw.  And I thought about a couple, married for only two months, having their first fight, and that could be the opening scene of the story.

The husband stalks off in one direction, and the wife in the other (though now I'm thinking she tells him to get out, and he stalks off alone, while she stays behind, out of the story for the next several pages), and then he has the fateful encounter the rest of the story will be about.  But I couldn't think of what the argument could be about (politics or religion were my first inclinations, for obvious reasons).  But then I thought about my conversation about how gross the weather was this morning, and how somebody else could see it so differently ("I love it!" she actually exclaimed), and I thought, Well, there you go.  It can be something like that, something as basic as optimism versus pessimism.

And I'd really like to write the story, except I haven't finished my current project, and I worked for a day on the Lara Demming story last week, and it would be a shame to let that one die too.

Like I say way too much on here: we'll see.

Words Today: 2419
Words In September: 10,754

*And when the sun did come out, around one in the afternoon, I felt like dancing around with a Red Hot Chili Peppers sock on soaking up those all-too-brief lithium rays.

**If you support me on Patreon, I did a whole production, complete with music, based on the reasons for this goal in September, but let me just sum up by saying, it's a devil of a challenge.

No comments: