Wednesday, December 30, 2020

December Sweeps - Day 333

Today's Wednesday, and I came over to the library as soon as I could manage (cards on the table, I started to get sleepy while editing audio and realized if I didn't stop immediately, I would doze off, and might not make it to the library at all), hoping to get another thousand words on this Christmas story.

I wish I had just finished the darn thing last week, because I could be focused on the New Year and maybe finishing up some other dangling story, or setting goals for January, or bigger goals for 2021, but instead, I've got this story to finish (before it's so far past the holiday that I don't feel like writing Christmas anything) and it's not even shareable until next year.

I tell myself, though, that I can make a "Lara and the Witch" episode of the Outcast, where I answer Marshal's questions, and maybe share a page or so of this story, and that will make it worth it.  But that begs the question . . . is anything truly worth it?

I worked for over an hour on it, and only stopped when they did their nut-shrinkingly loud PA announcement and flashed the lights.  I got through the Christmas Eve section, with Lara's present, and started the presentation of Holcomb's present.  That should make it finishable tomorrow.

Oh, Dawn Wells died.  She played Mary Ann on "Gilligan's Island," which was a fixture in my childhood, and, no exaggeration, probably my favorite show of all time until I was eleven or twelve.  She was 82, and died of Coronavirus complications.  The weird thing is, just last week, she put out a Christmas/New Year video for her fans, and looked happy and a hell of a lot younger than eighty-two.


Big and I talked a little bit about "Gilligan's Island" in a recent Dunesteef (the "Beefalope" one), and I understand that that show has been forgotten by this generation.  They wouldn't likely understand why it was a big deal, and yeah, it wasn't the greatest show ever, or even the breakthrough/classic that "Star Trek" or "Twilight Zone" or "I Love Lucy" or "Addams Family" or "Andy Griffith" or "Mister Ed" were.*  But it spoke to me, had the greatest theme song until probably "Cheers" or "Greatest American Hero," and I was a huge fan.  Still am, even though I haven't watched it in, jeez, can it really be thirty years or more?  Ugh.

Don't get old, kids.  Die as young as you can.  Die right now, if you've got a few minutes.

Sit-ups Today: 100
Sit-ups In December: 3382

Words Today: 1475
Words In December: 28,874

*Okay, maybe not "Mister Ed."  Sorry, guys.

No comments: