Monday, February 22, 2021

February Sweeps - Day 387

Got a headache today.  I spent half of my morning with work and the other half trying to take care of my car (which, cards on the table, my uncle did most of the work with, calling his mechanic and making an appointment for me, where I only had to find out what was covered by my insurance and get a tow truck to come pick up my car and take it to the shop).  I spent a few minutes cleaning out the car--an activity I tend to do two or three times a year, and then had no place to put all the junk from the back seat.*

My nephew has these debilitating migraines that plague him pretty much constantly, and have forced him to cut school down to only a couple of hours each day.  He literally has a headache every single day of the week, ranging from mild to unbearable, and though they've tried multiple medications, a chiropractor, and counseling, it seems to be a cross he bears at this point in his life.  It seems to be inherited (my sister gets two or three of them a month, and my Uncle Sam in California told me a year or two ago that he's had a headache every single day since he was fifteen or so), so I have no room to complain that I have a little one today, which only prevented me from podcasting (I had to turn it off) and enjoying music on the radio.

Every other night or so, I have watched an episode of "Modern Family" before I go to bed, and I'm really enjoying it.  The writing and acting are excellent, and you know who is absolutely great on the show?  The dude who plays the dad.  I know his name, but the headache is preventing me from remembering it (it seems to be preventing me from writing too, though blogging is fair game, apparently).

Oh, Ty Burrell.  I'm about 95% sure that's his name.  

He plays this well-meaning but ultimately clueless dork who spends at least one moment in each episode being wrong from one extreme to another, and his comic timing is unbelievable.  I'm sure, as the show goes on, that his character will become a cartoon, like Homer Simpson did on "The Simpsons," where he got stupider and more loutish with each successive season, to the point he stopped being recognizable (but of course, all the family members on that show did, and by the time I quit watching it, everyone but Maggie had become Star Trek Mirror Universe parodies of themselves in everything but goatees).  We'll see.

Sit-ups Today: 100
Sit-ups In February: 2329

I have this stupid eBay store I set up in 2016, which allows me to list an item for sale and then just forget about it (actually, it was probably 2019 or so when the listings became permanent, but I can't remember exactly--headache).  And that has been great . . . except that I often put something up for sale, and when it sells, eight, nine, twelve, fourteen months later, I have no idea where it is anymore.  Then I have to look all over for it, and only end up finding the item about 45% of the time.  I sold a dinosaur over the weekend from the year JURASSIC WORLD 2 came out (was that 2018?) and I don't even want to try to look for it.  I'm leaning toward just giving the guy his money back, without even going through my dinosaur boxes.

The thing is, about a month ago, like right around New Year's, I got the idea to go through my store and cancel EVERY SINGLE ONE of the "Jurassic World" dinosaur toys, because I kept having that problem, then I would go through a single box and relist just what was in the box, so I knew I had it . . . but I didn't do it.  

Push-ups Today: 139
Push-ups In February: 2154

I edited another chapter of "A Sidekick's Errand" today, and the final product is just under an hour long so far (probably comes out to two in the end).  This is the story, if you recall, where Ben Parks and Deputy Anglesworth go on a little outing together, and even though I wrote it last year (and recorded it this year), it's still a surprise just how much of a toad the Anglesworth character is.  

There's different kinds of bad people, and while the deputy is not evil per se, he's a loathsome clod and the closest thing to an antagonist the story has to offer.  I combined attributes from various people I've known over the years in this character, and put him together with Benny, whose only negative traits are ignorance and youth (I guess being small is a negative too), just so there could be some kind of understanding between them.**

I did an image search for "douchebag," and this was one of the results.

Remind me to publish this story soon (at least by the end of the week) and get to work on the next one.  If I could EVER finish a writing project, I'd put "Sins of a Sidekick" at the top of my list.

Okay, as number two on my list, since "Balms & Sears" needs to be finished.  I opened the file today at the library, and it needs some serious work (Alec, the main character's best friend starts out being called Scene (a mispronunication of Sean) and eventually I forgot about that and started calling him Chase), but I could take 48 hours and get to the end.  

Remind me to do that too.

Words Today: 487 (I may have more push-ups than words today)
Words In February: 15,369

*My sister is bound to complain that I stuck it all in the entryway, but I need to go through it and figure out what I could sell, and that'll take an hour or two tonight to get done.

**I killed Anglesworth in "A Sidekick's Journey," so I had to retroactively place this story before that one just so I could reimagine something that happened to my brother as happening to him.  


No comments: