Friday, October 29, 2021

October Sweeps - Day 636

Early in the morning (my nephew leaves for school at 7:30), my oldest nephew came in and asked me to help him come up with a costume to wear to school for Halloween.  I guess it hadn't occurred to him until the almost-literal last minute.  He went as "Blue Shirt Guy" from FREE GUY.

A few minutes after that, my sister asked for my help making her up as Sally from A NIGHTMARE BEFORE CHRISTMAS (in fairness, this she had asked me to do the night before).  She had a costume and a wig, which was cool, and all I had to do was put white make-up on her face, and then draw on scars and red lips.

But the make-up pencil she bought wouldn't work on the white facepaint, so I got out the paints I'd been using to paint models and action figures, and drew on the scars that way (with a paintbrush).  I thought it looked pretty darn good.  She also didn't have any red lipstick, so I used the red paint I'd gotten to pain Iron Man armor with, and did her lips with that.  I worried that it might burn her skin or something, but she claimed it was fine, and I thought it looked pretty good (and I could do much more detailed work with a paintbrush than a finger or cotton swab.

Sit-ups Today: 111
Sit-ups In October: 3038

I was surprised when my brother-in-law announced that he was taking the boys fishing again, but I was free to take the four year old to a Trunk Or Treat at a nearby parking lot.  Do they have Trunk Or Treats where you live?  Are they capitalized?

I’d never taken anyone on a trunk or treat before (should that be capitalized?), but it was like going trick or treating, but on Easy mode.  There were a couple of dozen families there, with their many, many kids . . . and I was the only person not in costume.  That’s no exaggeration: even babies and dogs were dressed up for this thing.  Somebody told me the reason for that is that only people who wanted to be there were there, the people who really love Halloween.  

They had various activities set up in the parking lot, including the usual beanbag throws and ping pong ball toss games.  And they also had a game where they tied a string around donuts and had people compete to eat the donut first, which I volunteered my nephew for and recorded a moment of him struggling with.  I guess I should’ve done it myself, considering my love for donuts, but I didn’t see any other adults participating (and I already felt a bit weird for being the only childless, unmarried adult walking around, who hadn’t even bothered to put on a costume).

Push-ups Today: 111
Push-ups In Octobre: 3446

Well, I haven't written a word today.  Somehow it's 2:19am.  Dammit.

I sat there, fighting sleep, writing a few words, then losing my focus, and finally, at 3:26, I called it a night, barely having managed three hundred words.  But hey, the best victories are the ones that be hardest fought.  You know who said that?

Rish Outfield, at 3:27am.

Words Today: 345
Words In Octubre: 21,327

No comments: