Monday, December 09, 2019

R.I.P. Rene Aberjounes


"Star Trek," "Benson," "Boston Legal" and LITTLE MERMAID actor Rene Aberjounes died this week.  He was seventy-nine . . . which is actually a pretty good run.

Even so, it's sad when an actor you're fond of passes away.  I mostly knew him as Odo on "Deep Space Nine," and I have to say that his performance, under that alien makeup, always impressed me.  But more than his face, it was his voice that really worked.  I pretty much do my Odo impression whenever I voice Tellarite Commander Gant over on "Star Trek: Outpost."  Just with a bit more snorting (and the occasional squeal).

He wasn't a typical handsome leading man type, and almost always played pompous buffoons, or at least stodgy, humorless characters.  But there was a warmth that came through, from time to time.

The above picture was taken at the opening of the Star Trek: Experience in Las Vegas, Nevada in early (I wanna say January) 1998.  Even though I look about twelve (and in the midst of that awkward age), I was actually of driving age (and technically, drinking age).  Speaking of drinking, Aberjounes was pretty tired and tipsy after whatever fun activities they'd had the night before the opening, but was still kind enough to pose in a picture with me.

At the time, I was less familiar with the actor, so when I saw him, I said, "Rene, can I get a picture with you?"  Afterward, my buddy John said, "Wow, you called him by his first name, like you knew him!"  In actuality, I had no idea how to pronounce his last name.

No comments: