Tuesday, June 10, 2014

Live Writing Exercise: ALSV 2

The difficulty of this challenge is not only that I have to write everyday, but I then have to grab my notebook and transcribe what I've written, which takes even more time.  Sigh.

***

          The divorce hadn’t been overly nasty, but what divorce is sweet and flowery?  Dad had moved out, left town, and now lived less than ten minutes from the airport.  Tanissa had never seen his apartment.  But they’d be together for almost three weeks, and she had been looking forward to it in the days before school let out. 

            She didn’t even know why.  She had no friends in town, and unless one of her friends called and arranged a meeting somewhere, she’d be hanging out with a guy in his thirties who hated everything her generation thought was cool.

            She mentioned something along those lines as they waited for her suitcase to show up on the conveyer belt.

            “About that,” Dad said, and stiffened up.  “I, uh, got some bad news.”

            “What?”

            He took his arm from around her.  “I wasn’t able to get this week off.  My vacation starts Monday.”
 
            “What do you mean?”
            “I mean, I’m gonna have to come back here tomorrow, and the next day, and the next.  I’m sorry, I just couldn’t manage it.”
            “But I thought you were the boss.”
            Dad sighed.  “I’m supervisor, not the boss.  So, you’re gonna have to be on your own for three days this week.”


 

No comments: