Thursday, February 15, 2024

Not Bad For A Little Furball (2)

A few days back, I showed the repaint I did of Wicket W. Warrick, but you know, I never explained WHY I was doing it.  The answer is twofold: first, because I really enjoy painting.  It relaxes me and the voices that constantly tell me to kill start singing Echo and the Bunnymen songs (they really like Ian McCulloch apparently).

The other reason is that since Hasbro started the toyline in 2013, they have only ever released three Ewoks (well, four, if you count the white Paploo repaint this last year), even though there are seventy-two Ewoks credited in RETURN OF THE JEDI.*  But when I was a child, I would often take the headdresses off my Ewoks and switch them around, so mine looked distinct from the ones owned by Steven or Dennis or Ryan, and I thought, "Hey, I could do that with the ones they've put out, and double or triple the number of 'distinctive' Ewoks in a display or collection."  Madness, you say?  Well, maybe, sure.

So, Hasbro's website put these guys on sale recently, so I went ahead and ordered a couple of extras, so I could paint them.  And the first to arrive was this one, Paploo:

He's dark brown/reddish brown) with a light tan hood.

I had a bugger of a time getting the hood off the figure--indeed, the head popped off much easier.  But that made the painting around the neck a simpler task, so ah well.

Wicket's cowl looked good on the (headless) body of Paploo, so I thought this would work.

Now it was time to paint the body.  I picked a light tan, since the factory paint was so dark.


It may seem to be white in the above photograph, but it's actually a tan color . . . maybe the bathroom tile is tan too.

I was amazing while painting to discover how detailed this figure is, with fur that's realistic and way more fun to paint than armor (sorry if I said this on the Wicket post, but it's been a month since I wrote that).

It was incredibly difficult to get the paint right on the eyes and nose and mouth.  Ultimately, I grabbed a toothpick and used that instead of a brush.  It was not ideal, but it was a lot better.

It turned out to be a real pain to get Wicket's cowl on Paploo's head, and I kept having to cut the ear holes longer and longer (it's not a soft material, despite its leathery look).

Here are both of my repaints together.  I think they turned out well . . . but it did make me wish I had a dozen more, so I could try all sorts of new combinations.



And be careful what you wish for, by the way--they're still on clearance on Hasbro's website.


*I counted.  That's how much I love you guys.  Er, guy.  Singular.

No comments: