Monday, April 10, 2023

Audiobook Update

As I (slowly) approach the home stretch of my work on Abigail Hilton's "The Cormorant," I have grown to hate (above all things) the sounds my mouth makes as I speak.  There are, no exaggeration, at least a obnoxious hundred mouth sounds in every single chapter.  Are these new?  Is it something my voice does as I approach old age?  Have they been present in every previous audiobook and I've never noticed them before?  


I mean, I make it hard on myself anyway with all the line readings, retakes, chair farts, accent experimentation, and genuine eff-ups each time I sit down to record.  But the mouth sounds . . . that's not like saying "Gerald" instead of "Gerard" or reading a Silveo line in Silas's voice.  That shite is some dark, subtle, Lovecraftian evil.  

Every day, though, I chip away at this iceberg, and am trying to get at least one chapter done daily.  By my math, I've got thirty-two episodes left to edit.  And twenty-six days to get them done in.  

You know, this might be my last audiobook this year.

No comments: