Monday, April 05, 2021

April Sweeps - Day 429


I've got nothing for you today.  Just too much work and not enough patience.  The neighbor kids have been screaming all day--and by "screaming," I don't mean "whooping and hollering and carrying on," but "letting out shrieks of phony anguish over and over again"--and I just sat down for a few minutes of calm, but I'm going to have to close the window, obviously.

Thank Dave Thomas, Founder of Wendy's, that the library is open until nine tonight, because I can sit here a few more minutes and then run over there, after having taken the garbages around the house and made sure the mail was picked up (if it wasn't, there's another stop before the library).  And wow, as far as sitting around goes, I'm almost as good at it as my nephews are.

Scale from 1 to 1.5, how offensive is this?

 I couldn't get the sound to work on my laptop when I turned it on today (it crashed the first time I started it and when it restarted, there was no sound--something that has happened way too many times since I got it, but something reinstalling the audio driver has always fixed before today), and even using headphones didn't help me.

Sit-ups Today: 100
Sit-ups In April: 500

Today has been one incredibly gross day.  Now, I've heard it all, from you Optimus Primes out there that love the weather in Seattle, to you Stuart Littles out there that love when it's so cold it hurts to breathe.  But today has been extraordinarily windy, and that has stirred up gunk in the air so the sky (and everything under it) is a hazy grey/brown color.

I went out to the car and my sister informed me that one of the garbage cans had blown over and she had to tip it up and gather up the trash that had spilled out--what the wind hadn't blown away, that was.  On the way to the library, I saw more of the same, to the point where I started to count how many tipped-over garbage cans I saw in the three miles between here and home.  I got to eleven--eleven trash cans the wind had blown over.

My hair was all messed up when I came inside, and it is dark out--six-thirty in the morning dark (not that I would know what that looks like, you are free to say)--despite it only being after seven pm.  The wind did that wonderful thing where, as I opened my car door to get out, it tried to slam it shut again on my leg (which I do remember happening once, years ago, and it's only a somewhat-happy memory), and I had to wash my hands once I got to the Quiet Floor, and there was a film of brown on them from the wind outside (my three year old nephew and I also raked up the leaf-blossom things that the wind blew off the tree today--I'm sure there's a word for them, but I don't know it), which is surely in my hair and in my lungs now.

'the devil do you call these?

I took a picture, but it doesn't do it justice.  Ah well.  I'm just going to write now.

Push-ups Today: 50
Push-ups In April: 477

I wrote a couple of paragraphs, and I started to notice the sound of the wind, coming from somewhere high above me (maybe the roof, maybe the big space between the two halves of the library [I'll probably fail to remember to take a picture of it, but I'll try]).  It sounds like ghosts climaxing.  Maybe the wind's not so bad after all.

Words Today: 779
Words In April: 2692

No comments: