Wednesday, January 22, 2020

Calling 2 Update

If you are sick of me pulling a George RR Martin on "The Calling: Reunion," well, nobody's sicker of it than me.  I sat down to record Chapter 26 (of around 30) last night, when I discovered that midway through that chapter . . . the file just ends.  There's no "the end," there's no Chapter 27, heck, there wasn't even the end of Chapter 26!

So, I looked through my notebooks (thank Bossk I still have them) and found the handwritten story from years ago, and sat down to type it all up*, until I ran out of juice.  I have been pretty close to unprofessional about this project from the get-go, and I guess it's time for me to make a little admission to you that may explain why . . . I'm not a professional.

I don't know what I'm doing.  I don't actually write, publish, or do audiobooks for a living.  Hence, my enormous sales numbers, I suppose.  And further hence, it explains why I began to suspect, halfway through recording this, my second-EVER novel-length work, that it might not be all that good.

But hey, I always suspect that, to one degree or another.**

So, not only do I have to retype the rest of the story (which, to be fair, is only twenty pages or so), but I can't really record any more of it until I do so.  And furthermore, I decided to expand Chapter 23 today, so that a character that dies in Chapter 27 gets a final scene before it happens.

I did that tonight instead of editing, but hey, it added another 600 words to the already 50,000 word story!  Oh, but I digress.  The reason I was writing this blog post was so that could say the above, AND say that, regardless of the quality of the finished product, there is one bit in "The Calling: Reunion" that I consider quite good.

And that's the bit where Josh goes to a church meeting of the McGinty family cult.  I thought it would be entertaining to write a hymn that they sing to start out the services, and when I did the audio, I thought it would be fun to make up a tune for it.

And that worked remarkably well.  So well that, when I sang it through a second time (just for the performance's sake), I remembered the tune pretty exactly.

I'm gonna share that bit with you now, since I'm pretty impressed with myself, if I may be so bold, sir (or ma'am).  Here you go:



Of course, your mileage may vary.  But then, it always has.

I wonder, in editing this little bit and putting it out there, if I didn't subconsciously steal the tune from an actual hymn that I heard in my youth.  If you recognize this little ditty, please let me know what it is in the comments below.  Of course, if you don't recognize it, then let's just chalk it up to my genius, shall we?

Anyhoo, "The Calling: Reunion" will be available soon.  Just not as soon as I was hoping.

Rish "Heed To The Voice" Outfield

*Again.  Or, hey, maybe I never actually typed it up in the first place.  Maybe I got through most of that chapter and said, "Okay, I'm calling it a day," and never went back to transcribe the rest.

**Though not usually to this degree.

No comments: