Monday, October 18, 2010

"Subtext" on Way of the Buffalo

Someone podcast one of my stories this week, and for once, it wasn't me. This was over at The Way of the Buffalo, hosted by Hugh O'Donnell. It was a very short story I wrote last year, entitled "Subtext," about a dead girl and her cellphone.

"Subtext" is a horror story that ends in a silly, almost insulting way. It's light, but a good example of my work. I wrote it as a sort of nostalgic throwback to the kind of scary/funny short stories I used to love in elementary school, collected by Daniel Cohen in his books, like the one where the woman says, "Do you know what I can do with my long, long nails and my red, red lips?"

I sent the story to Big for some reason, and he really liked it (for some reason). He seemed to think I could expand it to make an actual story out of it, instead of just a mean joke. But I couldn't really think of what to do with it, and honestly, some of the ideas I have work better as jokes.

I got a thrill hearing the reading of my story, though, even if no one else does. And I probably ought to write something tonight, instead of just surfing the internet for a fourth hour.

Rish

No comments: