Saturday, April 06, 2019

March/April Madness - Day 37 (4/6)

So, I came to the library again this afternoon to see if I couldn't achieve something similar to what I did yesterday.  I did speak with Big after yesterday's post, and he seems to be doing better than me in his daily word count for the month of April (despite having started a day later), but he's still working on the story we were going to swap for Christmas . . . 2018.  So, no matter who wins, we lose.
Today, I've reached the point where I could be writing the Big Confrontation scene at the end of the book.  I could be doing that, except I'm blogging instead.  You see, I am the worst of people.  I have tons of free time and opportunity, and don't take advantage of it.  Then, I look in the mirror, realize I'm getting old, and have the temerity to feel sorry for myself.
Don't be like me, Junior.  Stay in school.*
So far, I have written forty words.  Even that took some effort.
And just now, I wrote an email.  Anything to keep from writing, kids.
I'm at 82 words, but wow, I ought to focus.  I will try.


It was hard--man, that internet is an insatiable parasite!--but I did write at least part of the confrontation.  It's magic versus magic, and I was reminded of writing a scene in a screenplay, years ago, where two demons do battle, and how little my heart was in that scene.  We had seen Neo fight Agent Smith by then, and Gandalf battle Saruman, and probably Yoda fighting . . . jeez, was it Saruman again?  And I knew I couldn't top that.  Plus, that's not what the screenplay was even about (it was ostensibly a love story, though I wonder now what I'd think if I read it today), and I wanted to write anything but magic-users slugging it out. 
And this is similar.  These Lara Demming/Old Widow Holcomb stories aren't really about Harry Potter fighting Voldemort, but more like Neville Longbottom practicing second year spells with Colin Creevey in the room where Professor Binns keeps his old textbooks. 

And maybe that's okay.  We'll have to see, if anybody ever reads this book.

Words Today: 867 (as in, 867-5309)
April Words: 3,822
Words Total: 27,176
*Forever.  I mean it, just never graduate.  Be ten or thirty years older than the kids in your classes . . . just NEVER join the real world.

No comments: