Monday, April 01, 2019

March Madness - Day 32

This was a pretty long day.  The kind of day you have regularly, but not me.  Oh no, not me.

My mom had surgery in the city at seven am.  Seven, for the love of Mike's Hard Lemonade, and I had volunteered to take her there and bring her home.  But that necessitated getting up at six (okay, I actually slept in until 6:10, but don't hold it against me), and driving her up there, then hanging out in the waiting room until she got out.  I took my trusty notebook, and wrote on "Balms and Sears" for a couple of minutes, then decided to go out and get me a donut. 

I love donuts.  The way you love, say, your spouse, or your eldest son, or long uninterrupted bowel movements, that's how I love donuts.

But the Walmart a mile away didn't have any yet, so I drove around, trying to find a Winchell's or a . . . dang, what are the other donut chains called?  I remember one with a yellow sign, what was it?  Or was Winchell's the yellow sign?

Duncan Donuts, I think was the biggest chain in the U.S., at least when I was younger.  Is that the one with the yellow sign?  There was a donut place directly across from my hotel room when I stayed in Chicago, and I peered down and looked at it, at the city around me, and the people walking around like Ant-men on the sidewalk below me.  It was glorious.

Oh yeah, donuts.  So I tried to find a place, and couldn't.  I drove all the way toward the mountains where I knew of another Walmart, and got some there (the sun was rising right there to the east, pretty much blinding me and making me wonder how often people plow into other cars or pedestrians when the sun is just coming up), then meandered back to continue writing.  But when I got back, my mom was already done and wondering where I had gone.  Whoops.

Still, that should have given me plenty of time for writing and editing, since my morning alarm went off while we were still driving toward home.  Unfortunately, later that day, my sister pointed out that the washing machine downstairs was leaking all over the basement floor, so we had to quickly pile up boxes and make a path out the garage door to get the washer out of there (it had broken some kind of seal that kept the water inside when it spun), and order a new one. 

There was a little good news there, and a little bad news, but no writing news (the good news was that I discovered a box of Marvel Legends figures from 2014 and 2015* that I had forgotten about.  The bad news is, I could do no laundry, and after all the manual labor, I smelled pretty bad.**).  So, sadly, I only got 130 words in today, that I can think of.  Let me double-check.

Oh yeah, at the end of the day, I started editing a "Delusions of Grandeur" episode where I wrote a Star Wars sketch last year and mentioned I might write another one.  So I started it out, and ended up writing three hundred and eighty words on it.  And I'm gonna count it as writing too.

Words Today: 510
Words in April: 510
Words Total: 23,864

*I imagine I'll get a hundred bucks or so for them.  Maybe more.

**And I am pretty renowned for smelling bad, even on a good day.  I remember a couple of years ago, when I still worked with Austin, they hired a woman named Carolina who had no sense of smell, due to a childhood snorkeling accident.  So Austin described me to Carolina as, "Can you imagine what the Devil smells like, being surrounded by all that sulfur and people sweating and being tortured all day?  Now, imagine if the Devil shat his pants . . ."  Carolina was promoted not long after that.

No comments: