Friday, February 13, 2009

Dollhouse . . . is a veryveryvery fine house

...or is it?
So, Joss Whedon's new show "Dollhouse" premiered tonight, and people are already complaining.

Okay, that's not entirely accurate; I've heard people complaining for months.* Hell, I'VE complained.

But the show aired tonight, so I consider the mid-February 2009complaints more valid and at least somewhat informed.

People thought the show was boring, people thought Eliza Dushku was miscast, people found the premise flawed (or derivative, or uninspired, or just dumb), my niece abandoned it at around the fifteen minute mark, and I'm not sure what to think. I hope FOX doesn't cancel the show for a while, just so we can see where it's going, and if it gets better.

Because the episode that aired tonight was a studio-mandated new pilot, and the episode that airs next week is the actual pilot that Whedon shot and intended to introduce the series . . . I thought it would be a cool experiment to ask/beg/demand my pal tyranist to watch the SECOND episode first, while I watched tonight's show, so we could compare notes about our experiences.

Of course, the fact that we won't be able to get together to watch "Dollhouse" until there's two episodes on the TiVo doesn't hurt.

We shall see.

Rish Dollfield Outhouse

*I think I blogged about the woman at the "Dollhouse" panel who said she loved "Buffy" and loved "Angel" and loved "Firefly" and loved TOY STORY and loved (the trailer for) ALIEN: RESURRECTION . . . but thought "Dollhouse" just looked boring. A few people agreed with her, but the vast majority were booing and wishing eye cancer on her.

No comments: