Wednesday, July 23, 2008

DC Comics Top Five

So, DARK KNIGHT has hit theatres and I've seen it . . . twice. I never would have guessed I'd like it as much as I did, and I do have to wonder if its esteem will go up or down in the months to come.

As of now, my list looks something like this:*
1. SUPERMAN (1978)
2. THE DARK KNIGHT (2008)
3. BATMAN RETURNS (1992)
4. ROAD TO PERDITION (2002)
5. BATMAN (1989)

Tyranist got back to me first this time round, and his (rather surprising) list was:
1. Stardust
2. Batman Returns
3. V for Vendetta
4. Constantine
5. Road to Perdition
Lawyerboy Ian was the next to respond, though he suggested that if he saw DARK KNIGHT again, it might change his rankings. It ended up like this anyway:
Batman Begins
The Dark Knight
Superman II (the Richard Donner version)
Batman (1989)
Road to Perdition
(love this movie, but don't feel exactly great lumping it in here)

Cousin Ryan hit me with:
1 The Dark Knight
2 Batman Begins
3 Batman: Mask of the Phantasm
4 Superman / Superman Returns
5 '89 Batman


Beta Ray Charles gave me the following (without a Chris Nolan Batman in sight):
5. Batman
4. Superman II
3. Batman: Mask of the Phantasm
2. Batman Returns
1. Superman
Next was Jeff the Chemist, who sent me a list in no particular order (except number five). To be fair, I'll just list them alphabetically:
1. (tie) Batman (1989)
2. Dark Knight
3. Superman (1978)
4. V for Vendetta
5. Batman Begins


And lastly, Merrill sent me the following:
1. The Dark Knight
2. Batman Begins
3. Superman II
4. Superman
5. Batman Returns
Rhett wasn't able to get out to see DARK KNIGHT for a while, making him the last respondent. His list was:
1. Batman
2. Batman Begins
3. The Dark Knight
4. Batman Returns
5. Superman


And that makes our winners something like:
1. THE DARK KNIGHT
2. (tie) BATMAN BEGINS
2. SUPERMAN
4. BATMAN RETURNS
5. BATMAN ('89)


Hmm. Starting this, a few weeks back, I wouldn't have guessed it would come out this way. I wonder what I should ask next week.

Rish "The Dork Knight" Outfield

*I say "something like" because there are a lot of films (like STARDUST and V FOR VENDETTA) that could be on my list, but just plain aren't, for some reason. Next week, that could change.

1 comment:

ryanlb said...

Had I seen V for Vendetta and Road to Perdition before you asked this I might have had a answer with something other than Batman on it.