Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Arnold Top Five

Normally, I'd try to tailor my Top Five to whatever was noteworthy or coming out this week, but when I considered a Top Five Mike Myers Movies List, I shuddered at both the potential success of THE LOVE GURU, and the possibility that someone might list THE CAT IN THE HAT as one of their favourites. Sorry.

But, I went to tyranist's place and watched CONAN THE BARBARIAN for the second time ever over the weekend. And man, it was even better than it was the first time I saw it (also at tyranist's house, just a few years ago), and I was just awed by it. You've seen the movie, right? Well, I almost never have, and it just blew me away. The spectacle, the scope of it, the epic feel, the sense of class, the violence, the sex. They just don't make movies like that anymore, and a part of me wonders if they EVER made movies like that.*Watching it got me thinking about Arnold Schwarzenegger's career, and I figured that might be a good Top Five for this week. So, I asked for people's Top Five Schwarzenegger Films.

Mine would be:
1. THE TERMINATOR
2. TERMINATOR 2: JUDGMENT DAY
3. CONAN THE BARBARIAN
4. THE SIXTH DAY
5. TRUE LIES

But I gotta say, after number three, I had to look at a list, 'cause I'm not a big fan of most of the ones that came to mind. RED HEAT, anyone?

Tyranist was first to respond. His list went like this:
1. Conan the Barbarian
2. The Terminator
3. Terminator 2
4. True Lies
5. Conan the Destroyer

This may be fun.

Lawyer Boy Ian surprised me by being next to respond (I don't think he even answered the last one**). His list was:
1. Terminator 2
2. Terminator
3. Twins
4. Predator
5. Commando
(they don't make B movies like they used to)

Merrill sent me this one:
Terminator 2
Commando
Total Recall
Twins
Pumping Iron
(Coming!)

Cousin Ryan couldn't really answer because he's only ever seen BATMAN & ROBIN and didn't want to have to list it (though he did see parts of PREDATOR once).

Prison Guard Johnny sent me the following, along with a Top Three Mike Myers movies too:
1.Terminator 2: Judgment Day
2.True Lies
3.Twins
4.Predator
5.Conan the Barbarian


Sex Doctor Jeff sent me his list, along with a lengthy explanation for each entry (which I'll omit this time). His list:
1) True Lies
2) Terminator
3) T2 - Judgement Day
4/5) (tie) Predator & Total Recall


A bit late, my high school buddy Rhett sent me:
1. Terminator 2: Judgment Day
2. The Terminator
3. Predator
4. Conan The Barbarian
5. Conan The Destroyer


Even later, Beta Ray Charles sent me his list (as well as an apology). It went like:
5. True Lies
4. Total Recall
3. Predator
2. The Terminator
1. Terminator 2


So, adjusting for the new answers, I guess our winners are:
1. TERMINATOR 2
2. THE TERMINATOR
3. TRUE LIES
4. PREDATOR
5. CONAN THE BARBARIAN
6. HERCULES IN NEW YORK


Rish "Black Plowman" Outfield

*For a capper to this mini-rant, I have to admit that I went out the next day and bought a copy of CONAN and CONAN 2, thinking the next time we got together, we'd watch the apparently-lousy sequel. But when I talked to tyranist, I found out he'd one-upped me: he'd not only bought CONAN THE DESTROYER, but he'd picked up RED SONJA as well. Grrr.

**Although, considering it was Top Five Harvey Keitel Nude Scenes, I can't really blame him.

No comments: