Monday, March 10, 2008

Stupid Thing of the Week

9 March

So, I had my sister's kid over this past weekend. We hung out a little bit, and on Saturday, she had her heart set on watching "Saturday Night Live" with me. She's only a couple of years younger than I was when I'd watch it with my uncle John, so I thought, "What the heck." We watched it together, all snuggled on the couch, like I would with my own kid, I can reasonably imagine.

We watched it all the way through, past the second lousy song, and even the really bad sketch they save for right before the goodnights. But the kid wouldn't go to sleep when it was over, so we switched over the channels and "South Park" was on.

For some reason--maybe because it's one of my all-time favourites, and remains surprisingly brilliant--I didn't turn it off, and we sat watching it together, enjoying ourselves. We were nearly through the episode, and I hadn't batted an eyelash. When one character said, "If I could call Chris Hansen an 'asshole-licking dickfart' to his face, I would be SO happy," I laughed quite loud, then realised just what I was showing her. I felt embarrassed and like a bad uncle.

You could've told me that's what I was many years ago, but it still sucks to be reminded of that fact.

Unca Rish Outfield

No comments: