Saturday, March 22, 2008

Stupid Thing addendum

Remember how I felt guilty for showing "South Park" to my seven year old niece the other day? So, my uncle had his daughter for Easter weekend, but he needed to go to court to, I don't know, get some skinhead cannibal drug dealers off the streets, and he had me watch his five year old kid while he was gone.

To keep her occupied, he left his device, a Video IPod, I think, loaded up with movies she could watch during that time.

So, I was wandering around, cleaning, putting things in envelopes, and I listened to what she was watching, trying to identify what it was by the dialogue or music. But I didn't recognise it. There was classical, John Williams-esque score, but I couldn't think of an animated film J.W. had ever done. "What are you watching?" I asked. "Is it RATATOUILLE?"

"No," the child said.

I looked across the room and saw what appeared to be black and white images on her screen. "Is it INCREDIBLES?"I asked, even though that's not in B&W, but I thought maybe the flashback scenes were or something.

"No," she said again.

"What is it?" I finally asked, I listened for a moment more, hearing what I thought was Liam Neeson's voice. Ah, must be LION, THE WITCH, AND THE WARDROBE. "Is it NARNIA?" I asked, thinking that was pretty heady stuff for an especially slow five year old.

"No," she said again.

"Okay, what is it?" I asked, giving up. There are a lot of mediocre children's flicks out there, so I figured it must be one I haven't seen.

"I don't know," she said.

So I walked over and looked at it for a moment. Yes, it was in black and white, and yes, it was Liam Neeson's voice.

Sure enough, my uncle's five year old Down's Syndrome daughter was watching SCHINDLER'S LIST.

Thanks for playing.

Rish

No comments: