Saturday, November 03, 2007

Robert Goulet

3 November 2007

I wasn't really a fan of Robert Goulet, outside of "Saturday Night Live"'s mocking of him. He seemed to be one of those old-time celebrities who was famous just for being famous, but he was apparently quite renowned for his Broadway work, gaining fame for performing If Ever I Would Leave You from "Camelot." He did various films, from TOY STORY 2 to THE NAKED GUN 2 1/2, where I believe he was the villain*. He was also a fixture in Las Vegas, where three of my mother's brothers and one sister live.

He died on this past Tuesday, October 30th, of pulmonary fibrosis. He was seventy-three.

I was never really a fan of his music, but Goulet set himself apart by showing he had a sense of humour about his famous persona, lampooning himself in "Police Squad!" and the golden age of "The Simpsons." It's cool not to take yourself too seriously, and believe me, I know cool.**

I did meet Mr. Goulet last year, on the set of "The King of Queens." He quite impressed me, and had no ego or unprofessionalism whatsoever. The man was so friendly and personable that several of us lined up to get a picture with him.

It's hard to take a picture of a picture, I've discovered. The above was the best version that came out. I guess reflections, lighting, the gloss, the distance from the camera, and the flash are all factors in photography. I'm learning.

And speaking of learning, I was told, upon mentioning his death, that Goulet was the only celebrity that Triumph the Insult Comic Dog could find no fault in. That's quite an epitaph, really.

Rish Outfield

*And mauled to death by a tiger.

**Hey, I'll have you know that there's a Twilight Zone-esque alternate reality, where I am the 21st Century equivalent of Fonzie.

No comments: