Sunday, January 28, 2024

Mandalorian 2.0

So, I had a good time painting a Mandalorian figure for my friend, and when I saw a guy selling the same (awful-looking) figure for cheap, I scooped up another one for myself.  It took me a while, and I'm not 100% satisfied with the final product, but it's enough for me to keep it going.



So, this time, I thought I'd try white and grey.  First off, I took the tan (sorry, the ugly tan) and painted that in a flat, very light grey--you can see the difference in the pants (painted) and the arms (unpainted).


Snow seems to be the best backdrop for photographs, for some reason.

I also turned the brown on the boots into grey as well, dark grey (above and below).  I left the straps and kneepads as they were, though.


I liked the dark grey, so I took almost everything that was brown and painted it dark grey.  


I couldn't decide what color to change the orange armor bits to, but tried white, and thought that it might work, with enough coats.*



It was starting to look like the prototype Boba Fett armor, which I've always liked, except that is just a uniform white, with no varying shades . . . and that shouldn't work, but it does.

I still had the brown bits, so I tried painting over one of them with black, to see if it looked good or terrible.  I sent this picture to Big, and he told me to go for it.

All in all, this is less successful than the Ewok, and also less successful than the Mando I painted for Big.**  But it still looks pretty cool, and the next time it snows, I'll take a photo of him standing in it, and post it here.


*Turns out, it took so many coats that the orange armor started getting crusty with white.  It began to look more like bat guano than paint.  But ah well.

**Could be worse.



No comments: