Tuesday, June 21, 2022

Blog 6/21

Today is the longest day of the year.  Not sure why we don't celebrate it here, but we do celebrate other things.  Why don't we observe Siblings Day (April 10th) or First Contact Day (April 5th), but we do celebrate St. Patrick's Day and Arbor Day?

It was the first Tuesday in months I haven't gone to the library (yesterday was a holiday, so they were closed).  But hey, there was a family get-together a few towns over, and I chose to go to that instead.  I should've made myself run around the block, though, like I used to.

Heck, maybe I will.

I did, in fact, go running during the day for the first time this year (the ones at the cabin don't count--they kind of have to be during the day).  I've mentioned before (heck, after blogging daily for seven hundred days, I've mentioned EVERYTHING, from hemorrhoids to having an opera singer for a neighbor) that I'm super self-conscious when I run, and have been heckled a couple of times from teenaged buttholes passing me in their trucks (or truck . . . could it have been the same teens all three times?).  But that has happened at night as well, not to mention the dudes (or dudettes, for you feminist spies out there, I suppose a girl could be a butthole) that were driving in the wrong lane right there where I was running around the corner on two different occasions (same dude?).  But I couldn't go to the library, so I ran, which is better than nothing (though not as good as in 2020 when I would do both every Tuesday) before going to meet my cousin.

As far as that went, "Obi-Wan Kenobi" ended, and the last episode wasn't too bad, but the show is ultimately inconsequential, ultimately kind of pointless.  It's like "Encounter at Ord Mantell" or "Caravan of Courage" to the Star Wars saga as a whole.

Once again, "Strange New Worlds" was excellent.  I honestly don't know how they do it.  Pound for pound, it's the best Star Trek we've ever had.  

A couple of weeks ago, I was talking to Marshal Latham (who had watched "Discovery," unlike me), and asked about Spock's relationship with his father and mother (as well as the sister with the terrible name that was the star of the show), and at some point I said, "I wonder if they'd ever mention that Sybok exists."  He doubted it, same as me, and I said, "If it were my show, I'd introduce Sybok, and explore the relationship of the two brothers, and how Spock longs to be the perfect Vulcan, even though his heritage prevents that, and how Sybok longs to be human (or human-like) despite being full-blooded Vulcanian."  To my surprise (and utter delight), in the most recent episode, they teased a future appearance by the erratic and dangerous older brother (Spock calls him his father's illegitimate son).  I totally believe it is possible to redeem that character, and make him into a villain to be feared.  Stranger (new worlds) things have happened.


Writing or Exercise: Exercise


No comments: