Wednesday, June 29, 2022

6/27 to 6/29

 6/27

On Saturday, a new toy store opened in the mall, and I went over there to check it out.  It was very small.  So small, that I stood outside with my fellow neckbeards, waiting for my turn to go in.  I saw an older man sitting at a table a ways off, and realized it was George A. Romero, the famous Horror director.  



Of course, it might have been my mistake, since I ran into the zombie filmmaker at the Beverly Center mall one afternoon in 2004, so all bearded old dudes look like Romero to me.  Also, I could be wrong because George Romero died in 2017.

Every month I record an address for my Patreon supporters (usually the last couple of days of the month, so I can get it edited and posted by the first or second), and every time I try to talk about something interesting that happened to me or is going on in my life (for example, the night I was having a conversation with my brother in Las Vegas, and suddenly, he had a stranger's face, and was just speaking in my brother's voice*).  But I'll be jiggered if I can come up with something today.  I started the recorder, and about a minute later, turned it off again.  There's got to be SOMETHING cool or unusual I can talk about. 

I was actually getting into my writing tonight when they flashed the lights and did the crashing announcement that is like somebody dumping ice-cold water on your scrotum and four in the morning (or similar to it, anyway, it's been a while for me).  I don't do my word count anymore, but I'd say I managed five or six hundred words (and would've managed more, had I not gone online to see which of Crosby Stills & Nash was still alive, then spent ten minutes reading about Stephen Stills's and Graham Nash's solo careers (I honestly didn't know Nash had been with the Hollies before now).  But that's why I go to the cabin on Wednesdays, so I don't have access to Wikipedia.

Writing or Exercise: Writing

6/28

I thought LIGHTYEAR was pretty good.  Not great, but certainly not bad enough to lose Disney fifty or more million dollars.  Mostly, I found it strange that it so underperformed, where other movies (like DOCTOR STRANGE 2, TOP GUN 2, and surely, MINIONS 3 will) overperformed.  But hey, if there was a formula to this, then no films would lose money.  And we'd be on our fourth "John Carter of Mars" installment.

Writing or Exercise: Both (if you count push-ups as Exercise)

6/29

I went out, as I do every time I come here, onto the dam to do my run, and it was a little brighter out, a little warmer, the sun low in the sky but still shining, the air crisp from a rainstorm earlier, and I did my usual jog from one side of the dam to the other.  I've mentioned that the high elevation (in "Hatchling" I believe I used the word "edevation," and wrote that, for some effed-up reason) makes running difficult, as well as my own out-of-shapeness . . . but as I was running, Bill Conti's "Gonna Fly Now" from ROCKY started to play, and wouldn't you know, I suddenly got a burst of purely-psychological energy, and I ran flat-out the last bit of the jog.  And for a second there, I almost felt like I COULD fly.  I guess I'm slowly learning that life is okay.

Oh jeez, I almost forgot.  As I gave it all I had at the end of the run . . . my shorts fell down.  

Writing or Exercise: Exercise



*I didn't talk about that on my blog, for fear that somebody would say that their cousin or uncle had that happen to them, right before he drowned himself in the toilet of a Chevron station two blocks from his house.  See, I'd rather hear that kind of bad news from someone who pays a couple of bucks to know my secrets and hear my stories.

1 comment:

Big Anklevich said...

Double entendre. You ran into the zombie filmmaker in a mall in 2004 and you ran into the *zombie* filmmaker today.

Also, pushups are better exercise than most things people do. They count. More so than the runs you go on, really.