Wednesday, August 06, 2008

Comic Con Post 7

As I said before, Saturday was too busy. At the same time as the "Dollhouse" panel, there was a TERMINATOR 4 panel in Hall H (which would've been overfull too had we even tried to get into it). Sadly, from those that were there, it was quite impressive, and ended with a surprise visit from Hugh Jackman and a preview of the WOLVERINE movie, but "ah well" again.

After "Dollhouse," we had a couple of choices. Merrill and I are both big Pixar fans, and wanted to see their presentation for next summer's UP (also in Hall H). But in Ballroom 20, where we already were, was the "Battlestar Galactica" panel. We decided to go for the sure thing, and stuck around. Merrill and I have made it a tradition to watch each and every episode of the show together since I moved away from L.A.. I have soured a little bit on that show lately (though not nearly at the level that I have soured on Dean Koontz), but when it was good, holy hand grenade, it was a good show. Kevin Smith was the panel's moderator, and he brought out showrunners Ronald D. Moore and David Eick, and cast members Tricia Helfer, James Callis, Michael Trucco, Katie Sackhoff, Jamie Bamber, and Tahmoh Penikett again. Kevin is also a big fan of the show and asked geeky questions that really worked well in that setting.


Ron Moore is the greatest "Star Trek" writer ever, and he always offered an open door insight into the making of the show, the inspiration and lucky accidents, the mistakes and regrets, and it's possible BSG will be remembered as the greatest Sci-Fi show of the '00s.

It was really fun, and great to hear them talking about the show (which has already wrapped the final episode) in retrospect. Kevin asked them about how surprised they were by certain plot twists, and what their favourite memories were of the series. They seemed to be good friends, which I would hope an ensemble cast would get to be (though that's probably a silly Hollywood illusion). And I've got a shocking revelation for you (nobody was more shocked than I was to discover it), I found myself inexplicably attracted to Katee Sackhoff.
Yeah, and not just a little bit, either. And there was absolutely no alcohol in my bloodstream whatsoever.


Merrill and his wife have become big fans of "Pushing Daisies" (but their propensity for deleting the show off their TiVo before I can watch it has prevented me from sharing their enthusiasm), so he left the BSG panel to go to one about that show.

He told me later that he never even got in, ultimately missing both panels.

That's a shame, but there's no sense crying over every mistake;
You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.

We were separated, and I decided to go to see Joe Hill give a little presentation. Joe is Stephen King's son (the kid in CREEPSHOW who said, "I hope you burn in Hell" and then wrung his hands Mr. Burns-style when the Creep Creature showed up at his window), and has written a great novel "Heart-Shaped Box," and an awesome collection of short stories "20th Century Ghosts."

He's extremely talented, and he looks just like his old man did when he was young. Well, maybe a bit more normal, but I can't really say.
He did a signing after talking about his work, and because I have somehow lost my copy of "20th Century Ghosts," I had to steal tyranist's. Of course, now that it has been autographed, I could never give it back.

After that, I honestly don't remember what we did. I even looked at the program, but we didn't go to any of those shows or panels. Weird.

To be concluded . . .

No comments: