Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Top Five Jimmy Stewart Movies

Actually, this was one I asked tyranist for back in 2007. I stumbled across it and thought I'd use it this week, for no particular reason.
I told everyone that they could count "Mr. Krueger's Christmas if they'd like.

Tyranist was the first one I asked, and the first one who answered. Here was his list:
1. Vertigo
2. Rope
3. Rear Window
4. The Man Who Knew Too Much
5. Bell, Book, and Candle

I was actually quite surprised tyranist was able to name five, since he openly hates Jimmy Stewart.

Ian the lawyer wrote:
1. Philadelphia Story
2. It's A Wonderful Life
3. The Man Who Knew Too Much
4. Harvey
5. Mr. Smith Goes To Washington


Cousin Ryan had this to say:
5. Harvey
4. The Man Who Knew Too Much
3. Rear Window
2. It's a Wonderful Life
1. Vertigo


This was mine:
1. It's A Wonderful Life
2. Rear Window
3. Vertigo
4. The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance
5. Mr. Krueger's Christmas?

If I can't count that one, then "Mr. Smith Goes To Washington."


Merrill was quick to reply, with:
1. It's A Wonderful Life
2. Mr. Smith Goes to Washington
3. Vertigo
4. Mr. Krueger's Christmas
5. An American Tail: Fievel Goes West
(Almost as good as another Silver Screen Great, Orson Welles' performance as Unicron on Transformers the Movie)

Prison guard Johnny gave me (though, he did ask if Mr. Krueger's Christmas counted):
1. It's a Wonderful Life
2. Vertigo
3. The Shootist
4. Winchester 73
5. Rear Window


Jeff the Sex Doctor did give me a pseudolist, but it was so filled with obscenities that I don't know that I can post it here. Regardless, of the Stewart films he has seen, he liked:
1. The Glen Miller Story
and 2. The Flight of the Phoenix


Long after I had published this and tallied the score, my old buddy Rhett sent me this list (which ended up rearranging things a bit):
1. Harvey
2. It's A Wonderful Life
3. Vertigo


It appears our winners are:
1. IT'S A WONDERFUL LIFE
2. VERTIGO
3. REAR WINDOW
4. HARVEY
5. THE MAN WHO KNEW TOO MUCH


Reading that makes me think I ought to do a Top Five Hitchcock Movies list sometime.

No comments: