Sunday, June 16, 2019

Fatherhood of the Wolf

Today's Father's Day, and I'm reminded of a couple of days ago when I was at the thrift store, and I walked past a couch with a bust or sculpture on it.


I stopped, and looked again.  From where I stood, it was a brown sculpture of . . . the Lon Chaney Jr. Wolf Man.  Cool, huh?


So, of course I went back to examine it.  The 1941 Wolf Man has always been my favorite Universal Monster, and it tickled me to discover there was a bust made of it, even if it was clear that it was just a fan that had sculpted it, rather than a professional.

But then I looked again.  It said, underneath the head "You're Number 1 Dad."

What the . . . ?


I looked again, and now it was clear that it was no movie werewolf, but this was a sculpture of an ordinary man with a bushy moustache.

I was disappointed, to say the least.


But isn't it possible that, over the years, Larry Talbot married and settled down and became some kid's number one dad?

I'd like to think so.

No comments: