Tuesday, June 01, 2010

To Boldly Go

Somebody once said to me that the "Star Trek" intro line was grammatically incorrect, and that it should be "to go boldly where no man has gone before."

While I don't know if that's true, I hope we can both agree that nobody gives a rat's ass.

Or a Tribble's ass, if they have them.

I've loved "Star Trek" since I was a wee lad, and as I've blogged here before, one of my dreams when I lived in Los Angeles was to work on "Star Trek," even for a day. My other dream involved Catherine Zeta Jones. Sadly, neither goal was realized.

But last week, Big and I were interviewed for Bryan Lincoln's Fullcast podcast, and they talked about all the opportunities for voice work there were in the podosphere (which is a weird word that I promise not to use again). I bemoaned that there had been a "Firefly" further adventures audio drama, and that I'd found out about it too late to audition for Jayne Cobb. That still saddens me . . . and I would've been pants-wettingly awesome in that role). But in our conversation it was brought to my attention that there are always people needing voice actors to work on their audioplays, and that there's a Casting Call website where you can find what people need voices for.

I checked it out the day after the interview. Turns out there was a "Star Trek" audio drama about to happen on there. However, the deadline for auditions had already passed.

I shot the guy a note, wondering if all the parts had been cast, and he said they hadn't and I was welcome to audition. Interestingly/Strangely, he said he had actually heard of me and my podcast. So, I auditioned for one part, then another, trying to alter my performance as much as possible.

While I certainly didn't do a Jayne Cobb-worthy job, I did the best I could.

Well, the director liked what I did, and it looks like I've got a part. But what's the part?

Well, if you know me at all, you know I'm a Kirk guy, not a Spock guy, and I practically worship the ground William Shatner walks on.

So it'll come as no surprise that I'm voicing Scotty on the programme.

Cool huh?

Ris--

Okay, okay, it's a little bit cooler than that (unless you're a huge Scotty fan, in which case, I pity you)(and Scotty is still voiced by somebody decent, don't worry). Turns out that I get to be Captain . . . James T Kirk . . . of the Starship . . . Enterprise. That's practically the lead role, and it's been fun to try to find a balance between my own voice and a Bill Shatner impersonation. Time will tell if listeners enjoy my work, or find my performance believable.

Of course, if Kirk gets to bed some exotic alien babe or hottie ambassador, my acting skills will really be put to the test.

Rish Tiberius Outfield

2 comments:

Big Anklevich said...

You should use the word Podiverse, that's much less weird and easier to understand.

Kevin David Anderson said...

That is great news Rish!

...and I like podosphere