Friday, January 25, 2008

Stupid Thing of the Week

I went to a meeting today where the woman speaking said, "If you can't make it to your appointment, we are more than happy to reschedule."

And it occurred to me what an odd saying that is. More than happy.

Have you ever been MORE than happy?

Oh.

Now I'm embarrassed.

The point I'm trying to make is that it's just a strange thing to say, to be more than happy about something that really, you shouldn't even be happy about. I can understand someone not being angry about rescheduling an appointment, not at all irritated, or even fine with it. But more than happy about it?

I'm rarely happy, let alone MORE THAN HAPPY. I can't imagine what that would be. Thrilled or ecstatic, I suppose. Orgasmic with delight at the opportunity to move your appointment from this Tuesday to next Tuesday.

Anyway, it was just something I thought about for a moment, then put it out of my mind.

So, just now I was with my uncle and he was telling me he was going on another one-day trip to see his kid on Thursday, and I said, with no forethought whatsoever, "I'll go, if you want. If you need somebody to drive, I'd be more than happy to help out."

I don't believe it.

No comments: