Monday, October 29, 2007

All Hallow's Week Post 5: Horror Remakes

29 October 2007

One of my greatest pet-peeves as far as the movies go is the oversaturation of remakes on the market. I'd rather see sequels into the double-digits, or silly crossovers like Alien versus Predator, Freddy versus Jason and Roe versus Wade than to see them remake the originals.

But there can be good ones too. Sometimes really talented filmmakers are involved, or the original just wasn't that good, or a clever spin on an old idea comes along and we get a really great remake, prompting me to rethink my whole "Remakes Suck Orangutan Bags" philosophy. There are some good ones out there. But hey, there are good Alanis Morissette songs out there too. Doesn't make me a fan.

And here's a list of our five favourite Horror remakes.

Tyranist's remake picks:

1. Black Christmas (2006)
2. Invasion of the Body Snatchers (1978)
3. Evil Dead 2 (1987)
4. The Mummy (1999)
5. Horror of Dracula (1958)


Rish's five favourites:

1. Invasion of the Body Snatchers
2. The Mummy (1999)
3. The Thing (1982)
4. The Grudge (2003)
5. Amityville Horror (2004)


I'm a little embarrassed about listing the Amityville remake, since people hate it so passionately. But you know, the movie really scared me, and it was a HELL of a lot better than the Margot Kidder/James Brolin one, so I stand by it.

What I don't stand by, though, is my confidence that these are my five favourites. I just know I'm missing a couple I truly love. I'm sure they'll come to me ten minutes after I publish this post.

Rish Outfield

No comments: