Tuesday, May 24, 2022

Blog 5-22 to 5/24

5/22

One of my non-writing goals for this year was not to buy any more Transformers toys.  And even though I broke that rule by buying a Starscream figure for Big Anklevich, I'm doing pretty well with it.  Today, Big told me he'd bought a little tiny Ravage figure, despite how expensive they've gotten, and I was with him on it, since Ravage was one of my favorite characters growing up.

He's a Decepticon sidekick who transforms from a panther into a mini cassette that you could put into Soundwave's chest, or his tape deck when he was in disguise as a stereo.  At least he was, back in 1984.  But Big sent me a photo of what 2022 Ravage NOW transforms into . . .

Absolutely nothing.

It somehow gave me the strength not to break my resolution for the rest of the year.  Thanks, man.

My mom took my aunt to the airport and my sister took her two older kids to a homeless shelter this afternoon, so I volunteered to take care of the four year old (since we had a good time last Sunday, with our hike and all).  We went to the park (where they had completely emptied out their duck and goldfish pond, then left it empty), and then drove down to the riverside and took a walk.  

It's a cool, semi-exotic place just a couple of miles down the road, and yet I only go there once or twice a year.  There are several trees that grow up alongside the river, and one of them had apparently died and fallen over, and there were two dudes who had walked out on it and were fishing there, which seems pretty exotic too.

I took a Coke Zero with me, and at one point, my nephew grabbed it and took a big swig of it . . . which would have consequences, as he was just coming down with a cough at that time.

Then, before I knew it, the day was over.  The wind blew like a mutha tonight, and I remembered that I hadn't written or exercised tonight, and though I wanted to watch "Saturday Night Live" and eat ice cream, I forced myself to put on a long-sleeved shirt, some sweats, and went on a run.  

Writing or Exercising: Exercising


5/23

I did pretty great at the library today, logging in with less than an hour to write, but still getting nearly eight hundred words.  "Balms & Sears" is really coming along.  Too bad no one will ever read it.  But ah well.

I had lines to do for another Horror Addicts story due soon, and I sat down today and recorded them.  Strangely, the story was in First Person, but I was only supposed to be doing the spoken lines of the main character.  I even emailed to ask if it was a mistake, but that was how she wanted it done.  I wonder how that will sound, having a female narrator in a male POV story.*

I finished another Rish Outcast episode today, so that makes three that are in the bag that I can release over the next three weeks.   But will I?

My brother is going to the cabin this weekend to de-winterize it, and I would love to go with him, but I'll be in Southern California.  Still, I guess that means I could drive down to the cabin next week.  I'm as excited about that as I am the Star Wars Celebration.

Writing or Exercising: Writing 

5/24

My nephew was really sick yesterday, coughing constantly, even through the night, and alternating between being hot and cold.  It scared me because on Sunday, he'd leaned over and drank from my Coke Zero, and with me going on a road trip this week, I sure didn't want to get sick myself.

I coughed a few times yesterday, but way less today.  I did, however, alternate between being too hot and too cold.  But I'll muddle through, I hope.

Today's garbage Spam email is a rerun, but boy, it's a good 'un.  RishOut, Your Prostate is the Size of a Lemon! (oh, the capitalization was mine--even my name wasn't capitalized in the email)  It's an oldie but goodie, and I noticed the sender's name was Bedtime Prostate.  Makes me feel less alone, somehow.

This will be the last time I make it to the library this week, and maybe for the rest of the month.  I was surprised to see none of the regulars up here on the second floor, from the homeless guy who lives up here to the scary wrestler-looking dude who is always reading the Wikipedia page for Shari Lewis and Lambchop.  But hey, that also means that Lizardface is absent, and boy oh boy, color me grateful for small favors.

I've crossed the 48K mark on "Balms & Sears."  Unfortunately, I've shown no signs of stopping.

Writing or Exercising: Writing 

*Truth be told, I have done a couple of stories like that, but you can only hear my own narration on my audio collections--when I do them on my show, I ask a female reader to do that part.

1 comment:

Big Anklevich said...

"Yes, the danger must be growing, because the rowers keep on rowing, and they're certainly not showing any signs that they are slowing.