Tuesday, April 12, 2022

Gilbert Gottfried R.I.P.

Gilbert Gottfried died today.  He was sixty-seven.  

While best known as the voice of Iago in ALADDIN (whoops, I've got to put 1992 on there now, damn you, Disney), he had a pretty widespread career, from being a SNL cast member that terrible first year without Lorne Michaels, to having his own hit podcast just this past year.  I was surprised--still am, actually--to discover how many other people thought he was a hilarious comedian.  I tried, over the years, to do a Gottfried impression, and could never quite get it right.

His voice was so gross, and his little scrunched-up face was like an apple left out under a tree.   He got it right, though.  A funny, funny man.

I'd tried to find a picture of him doing "the voice."



His jokes were always so crass and so shocking (" I ran into Jackie Onassis at a party, and broke the ice by asking, 'Do you remember where you were when you heard JFK was shot?'") that you'd laugh twice.  His style was not for everyone, but hey, it was style. 

No comments: