Thursday, April 28, 2022

Blog 4/27 & 4/28

Note: I've been quite lax in putting these out this month, so I'm going to try doing two or three days at a time, to catch up (is "lax" short for lackadaisical, or laxative?).

4/27





4/28

I'm here at the library again.  That makes four days in a row.  And the first thing I did once I logged into this computer, was to look at something online that I absolutely HAD to check out, despite only having 45 minutes on this computer, and coming here specifically to write.  THAT, Your Honor, is why I'm never going to amount to anything in this life.  Better luck next one.

In my daily podcasting earlier in the year, I mentioned an escaped mental patient that I see here at the library from time to time, who called me "fucking lizard face."  It disturbed me enough that I did a lil episode about it.

Well, I saw him again today, and as soon as he saw me, he said, "Two more just came in,"* stood up, and headed for the exit, leaving his coat at the desk where he'd been working ("working?").  I gritted my teeth, logged in to the computer, and put him out of my mind. 

A few minutes later, he came back in, grabbed his coat, and went quickly toward the stairs again.
In this book I've been writing, the main character of Alec (I don't believe I've come up with a last name for him, but he goes by Alec Ewell) is highly empathetic toward others, much to the disgust of his more pragmatic grandfather.  Alec sees everyone as a person, one with an inner life, and suffers if they're suffering, even if they're strangers, he cares about them.

I guess the point I'm trying to make here is that I'm not like Alec.  The crazy mumbling dude at the library disturbs me, and I don't like him.

Perhaps I should write a scene where Alec encounters him, though, and see what he would do.


*He said this to himself, or to whomever he imagined was nearby.

No comments: