Saturday, June 16, 2007

15 June 2007

In case there's any confusion about the last (rather bloated) post . . .

Well, they're dead. They're all messed up.

Apparently, a handful of people (or maybe a lot of people, I don't know for sure) out there decided to get into the spirit of the season and blog as though the zombie apocalypse was here. Unfortunately, I didn't find out about it until it was already happening, and it was too late to do anything about it. Isn't that always the way?

Tyranist came to pick me up after work and told me about it during our twice-monthly drive to the movies. There was a fire right on the side of the freeway, so traffic slowed down and eventually stopped, and I figured, "Sure it's stopped, it's the zombie apocalypse, after all."*

When I got home that night, I jotted down the first two or three paragraphs, then went to bed. The majority of the story I wrote in the wee small hours on a borrowed laptop in the Excalibur Hotel in Las Vegas. I thought it was something short and fun I could pound out the way I pound out a . . . bowel movement, I guess.

Sadly, it got completely and totally out of control, so that I was still working on it a bloody week later. $%!@#.

I initially intended for the story to be that I go to work, passing a homeless guy on the way, then during the day, we see people walking around the cemetery (which really is right across the street from my work). I guess I wanted there to be a zombie in the restroom, but honestly, I expected the entry to be about a dozen paragraphs long. Sorry, kids.

If another opportunity like this comes up, I promise I'll get started on it sooner than the day it is due.

According to my friend, they'll be doing this kind of (rather twisted) thing every June the 13th, so we at least have one thing to look forward to in '08.

Rish "No More Room In Hell" Outfield

*Oh yeah, tyranist said he would prefer it if we referred to it as "The Zombie Holocaust," rather than "Apocalypse." So I will try.

No comments: