Monday, December 27, 2021

December Sweeps - Day 695


Do you hate my blog?  I sure do.  

I'm sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo sick of typing up how many sit-ups and push-ups I'm doing, even more than actually doing them (which I'm sick of, but with only six o's in the "so").

Sit-ups Today: 100
Sit-ups In December: 2711

I had a lot of work to do today, which is welcome, but it did leave me pretty tired in the afternoon.  My 14 year old nephew commandeered the television while I was boxing up a bunch of toys, during which I had set aside the time to watch a "Modern Family" episode (before I had to drive down to my aunt's house to pick my mom up and take her home), and then I'd hit the library and try to get in some final words written for the year*, and when the episode ended, he hit Skip on to the next show.  I told him I might not have time to watch the whole thing, and finished up my work as best I could.  But when that episode ended, he hit Skip again, planning, I guess, to repeat last week's five episode "Hawkeye" marathon.

I said, "Give me the fuh-dging remote!" fixing the word at the last syllable, and then the four year old, who was in the room, started bellowing, "Give me the fu-dging remote!  Give me the fu-dging remote!"  It was almost cute, but dude, I cannot let that kid do the Skip-the-next-episode trick again.

Unfortunately, it was time to go get my mom, I stopped at my sister's house, and when I got back, it had started to snow.  I put on my coat to head to the library, and both of my nephews said they wanted to go with me (not sure why, there's nothing for them to do but sit quietly, or hang out downstairs where you can talk and play video games at a regular volume).  So, we put on our coats and shoes, and my sister pointed out that there had been an Emergency alert on TV and the phones saying that due to a snowstorm, people were to stay off the roads.  There were these gale-force winds, and she said, "I don't care what you do, but you're not taking the boys driving with you."  That was sure sweet.

So, we decided to walk around the neighborhood instead.  And the winds had indeed been so bad that a dozen or so garbage cans (put out for the trucks tomorrow) had tipped over, including one of our own, spilling Christmas trash around each fallen can.  We made it a game to tip each of the fallen trash cans back up as we went on our walk, and numbered eleven righted ones before getting back home.

But that meant I didn't get any writing done, not a single word, and I'd rather do anything (even blog, list items for sale, or finish editing audio) than write right now.

Push-ups Today: 111
Push-ups In December: 2756

I recorded another chapter of "Hatchling," the one where they break up.  As I keep saying, the book is not going well.**  I was thinking today, though, that if someone gave me the choice between the book being really good and selling really well, I'd happily cash in those hack paychecks.

Sadly, though, it looks like I'll have to settle for neither.

Words Today: 402
Words In December: 15,288

*Honestly, I DON'T CARE how many words I managed in 2021, or how short of 2020 it ended up being.  2020 was the goddamn plague year, as well as Midlife Crisis Year, and I probably wrote more in February of that year than I did in the last six months (I'm never going to match that, and I'm fine with it).  I fully expect to write less in 2022 than I did this year, and I am not only okay with that, I can hardly wait.

**Remind me in 2022 to stick to writing short stories.

No comments: