Monday, December 06, 2021

November Sweeps - Day 674

Let's see, what was I saying yesterday?  It was something about my conversation with Abigail Hilton about her novella "Lullaby."  

One thing that I'm doing on this one that I've never done before is voice a character who is dying, but has lots of inner monologue.  It occurred to me as I read it that I'd have to decide if the Dying Voice was the same as the Thinking Voice (if that makes any sense), and decided ultimately that the character's thoughts were healthy and vigorous, even if their voice was gasping and weak.  

There are differing opinions on how audiobooks should be narrated, but I'll go twelve rounds with anyone who doesn't like reverb on thoughts.*  Especially on a book like this, where Abbie doesn't say, "Arcove thought," or "thought Roup" after inner-monologue, you absolutely NEED a way to let the listener know that the character didn't just speak the line.  And the way I convey that is by an audio effect, and will do so until the day they pry my microphone out of my cold, dead hand.

She (Abbie) says her other narrator has a way of lowering her voice when it's a thought, so she doesn't need reverb, and that's pretty much what I'm doing with this dying character . . . but let's just agree to disagree on this one.  

Sit-ups Today: 100
Sit-ups In December: 600

Today was the last day in the Haslab Rancor fundraising campaign.  I could talk for an hour about it (and I definitely would, if poor Marshal wanted to sit and listen to it in a podcast sometime), but suffice it to say that I really wanted a huge, realistic Rancor Monster, but Hasbro botched it so thoroughly that I couldn't in good conscious back it.  And in the end, it fell just short of the nine thousand it had to sell to go into production, despite the company expecting to sell more than twenty thousand of them.


Thank goodness the brakes on my car are totally shot--and I have something else to spend that nearly four hundred dollars on. 

Push-ups Today: 100
Push-ups In December: 625

Words Today: 245
Words In December: 2460

*It's not as anathema as the clods who don't distinguish between male and female-voiced characters in their narration, but it's way up there.

No comments: