Friday, December 17, 2021

November Sweeps - Day 685


So, I was stressing out quite a bit this morning.  Not sure why, but I was feeling it.  Now, I'm at the library a few hours later, and I'm more calm about things. 

Sit-ups Today: 100
Sit-ups In December: 1711

So, I've got a story presentation at tomorrow's Christmas party, and the thing that had me so stressed was that I got it into my head that, since I had to write the story anyway, I could use it for the Christmas episode of my podcast next week.  But I talked to other people who said it didn't have to be a masterpiece or anything.

So, I sat down at the library and started writing it.  I got about six hundred words (okay, slightly more than that):


And I was thinking, I could write a short version and a long version, and the short one I'll read at the party, and the long version, I'll read in Hell.  It seemed like a good plan to me.

Of course, before I got to seven hundred words, the screen went blue and I got a message saying that there was an error and the computer had to restart.*  So, the computer restarted, and everything was lost.
Big, so predictable the Germans could set their watches by it, told me this was what I get for not using Googledocs. 

So, I guess I'm going to start again now.  But this time, I'm writing the story in an email window.

I wrote out the long version, including everything, which came to 1436 words, then I hacked and slashed it, finally deciding to be finished with a three page 899 word story.

And weirdly, now I feel calm, and am not even all that upset about the crashing computer earlier (now that everything's saved, I guess I mean).
It's pretty rare that I write a story (even a short one) in a single day, so technically, I started it yesterday and finished it today.  But I'll take the win.

Push-ups Today: 100
Push-ups In December: 1734

We saw SPIDER-MAN: NO WAY HOME tonight.  I got tickets for my nephew and my cousin and me about two weeks ago (there was buzz that the showings would actually sell out, despite the world we now live in).  My cousin ended up bringing his fifteen year old daughter and her friend at the last minute, and they sat all the way in the back, but we could hear them coo-ing and squealing and cheering throughout.

The movie was quite good.  I liked it a great deal--especially the ending--but wasn't quite as moved by anything in it as I had been with Clint Barton trying to talk to his son on the phone when he couldn't hear him.  But hey, you do you.

Words Today: 1495
Words In December:10,999

*This happened a bit more than a year ago, and was the reason I stopped using their computers.


No comments: