Wednesday, December 29, 2021

December Sweeps - Day 697


My cousin and I watched "The Book of Boba Fett" last night, and I liked the world it takes place in more than I liked the show itself.  It looked pretty, but was largely forgettable.  It was merely the first episode of seven, but the things I was most impressed with continues to be the appearance of Star Wars aliens and how darn young Ming-Na Wen looks.*



Sit-ups Today: 111
Sit-ups In December: 2922

I got the brakes fixed on my car today.  I had put it off for weeks, until the sound of the grinding pad-less brakes was not unlike the cries of the damned (the sounds that surely all televangelists will find waiting for them when they go).     My brother warned me it was going to cost a thousand dollars (because I had left it so long).  But it ended up costing only half that. 

I got a bit of writing done, once I put my head down and really focused on it. 

I should have finished my darn Scrooge story days ago.  Yesterday, I worked on the Outpost tale instead, but I came very close to finishing the Christmas one tonight, but the library closed at the same time it always does: before I was ready to go.

Push-ups Today: 111
Push-ups In December: 2967

I got all the chapters uploaded for Abbie's book/novella today, and got a list of changes needed to make (I said "weakness" when the text said "weariness," said "pricked" when the word was supposed to be "prickled," and I said "shriveled grey dingus" when the text said no such thing, those sort of changes).  I grumble about these things, oh definitely (and will continue to do so), but Abigail Hilton cares about her audiobooks more than anyone else I know, enough to not let a chair squeak or a misspoken word slip through.

I'm sure I told you of the last audiobook I did for someone, where I sent it out and the author published it as-is, without any retakes, when I KNOW there had to have been errors in there (because there always are), and I thought to myself, "Wow, some people just do not care, do they?  Ah well, the money spends the same, at least for the author, in this case."  So, I guess there's a range when it comes to this sort of thing.

Words Today: 922 
Words In December: 16,701

*I read a review of the first episode online, by a guy who calls himself Star Wars Edit Droid, and he hated it . . . hated it as I've only ever hated one Star Wars property in my life.  He went on and on about how much it ruined the character of Boba Fett and was filled with weak dialogue and tepid action sequences, and that it has thrown his whole appreciation for the series in question, since he had no problem with the JJ Abrams/Rian Johnson movies, but was surrounded by people screaming about how terrible they were.
I sympathized with him, at least a little.  Sympathized enough not to get on there and comment, "At least you didn't pay money to see it.  Imagine how I felt in 2005, paying twelve dollars a ticket on opening night, only to be hit in the face with icy water at seeing an epic misfire in practically every single way, only to go home and hear people say it was better than RETURN OF THE JEDI."

No comments: