Friday, December 24, 2021

December Sweeps - Day 692

Not much to share today.

It's Christmas Eve, and I've accomplished nothing today.  

Abigail Hilton will, from time to time, send me reviews of the audio I've done of her books.  This was the one she sent today:


I've never been referred to as "fire" before (or FIRE in all caps, if that's different).  But hey, I'll take it.

Sit-ups Today: 100
Sit-ups In December: 2411

My nephews were watching MUPPET CHRISTMAS CAROL, and I tried to watch it with them (honestly, I tried), but boy, I just can't abide the Muppets.  I guess I've complained before about Miss Piggy, but unless they're Sesame Street Muppets, I rather despise them and their antics.  That's just me, my cousin swears by MCC, quoting it often as though the dialogue was actually invented for the movie.

Push-ups Today: 100
Push-ups In December: 2445

Around 1:30, after wrapping the two or three presents I hadn't yet wrapped, I got on my computer and looked up the history of "A Christmas Carol," and discovered that, due to the success of that book, Dickens wrote four follow-up Christmas tales.  I looked those up as well, and thought, "Boy, that would've been fun to share as a holiday episode of my podcast."  But alas, it was too late.*

I also found that there was a 2004 Kelsey Grammer TV movie adaptation of "Carol," where Jason Alexander played Jacob Marley.  It was a musical version with a score by Alan Menken, and somehow I'd never heard of it.  I tried to watch it on television, but it wanted me to subscribe to Hallmark Movies on demand or something.  

But the songs were available on YouTube, and as I listened to them, I thought it would be fun to write a short holiday story where a man travels from America to London and encounters Ebenezer Scrooge.  I started to write it, but I know two things about Victorian England: 1) squat, and 2) jack.

Even so, my heart was in the right place.

Words Today: 558
Words In December: 14,066

*I also considered recording myself doing the "They are man's (children).  Their names are Ignorance and Want" scene from the book as a bonus to my Patreon followers, but it was already late at night and I'd neither exercised nor written anything yet.

No comments: