Tuesday, December 21, 2021

December Sweeps - Day 689

I haven't had any opportunities to read books the last . . . jeez, almost two weeks now.  But today, I opened the book I got from the library and tried to read it . . . and I didn't recognize any of the characters' names or recall exactly what was going on (I was still in Chapter One, so I guess it's forgivable).  I had an audiobook in the car, though, that I'd been listening to since November, a Suzanne Collins book, and I was enjoying it, but it was way too long, and I realized that I still had multiple discs left, even though I was tiring of it.  I kept on, but realized it was a joy-free drudgery, so I gave up, despite having invested several hours in it.  

I went to the library and wanted something short I could finish in a couple of weeks and not have to renew or pay late fees on.  I saw an audiobook of Stephen King's "Carrie," narrated by Sissy Spacek, and scooped it up.

A day later, I'm supremely happy with it, astounded that the book can be so moving and brilliantly alive, despite me never being a huge fan of it (I found a first edition hardcover of it one time--without a dust jacket--and I think I gave to my niece for her birthday a couple of years ago).

Sit-ups Today: 100
Sit-ups In December: 2111

Okay, I'm going to blog for ten minutes (I haven't updated my detested blog in a while, despite nearly two years of it), and then write for thirty or so.  I think I mentioned that Friday I was feeling very stressed and unhappy, but today was the opposite.  I just don't feel bad at all, and have smiled at strangers everywhere I went today.  Maybe it's the Christmas spirit, who knows?

I did write, for about forty minutes.  Didn't get a lot done, but the story is inching along.  I have no deadline but whatever I set for myself.

Push-ups Today: 100
Push-ups In December: 2145

My cousin and I watched a handful of "Seinfeld" episodes as we waited for the final "Hawkeye" to air.  I know I go on and on about Jason Alexander's immense talent on that show, but I don't know if I've ever mentioned what a treasure Jerry Stiller was (he played George's apoplectic father).  I love how he's like a volcano ready to explode, for virtually no reason, and hope to be a real-life Frank Costanza one day.


We finished "Hawkeye," and I'm sad it had to end after only six episodes.  The finale wasn't as shit as the "Loki" one was, but I was still disappointed (I was under the impression they introduced Kingpin, only to kill him in the same episode, but a bunch of folks online said the same thing happened in the comics, and he got better.  So there's that).*

Words Today: 833
Words In December: 

*Also, I wondered why on Earth he had a red Hawaiian shirt on under his white suit, but that was apparently right out of the comics.



No comments: