Thursday, December 09, 2021

December Sweeps - Day 677


I thought it would be fun to write another project with a high level of nonsense in it, like "Journey Into Another Dimension..." a couple of years back.  I was thinking about it while shoveling snow today--oh, we had our first snowfall, only a month or two late this year--and felt it would be fun to write a story that took place in the future, where all religious references had been replaced by mentions of the "Happy Days" TV show.  I thought of a couple of amusing possibilities, then told myself I would challenge writers on Facebook and Twitter to include a reference to Joanie Loves Chachi in something they write in 2022.  I'm sure no one will do it, but I'm sure gonna try.*


Sit-ups Today: 100
Sit-ups In December: 900

I had a pretty darn good writing session at the library today, and it felt relaxing and centering (like it was what I was supposed to be doing or some other such nonsense).  My outpost story is now at 33,000 words.  I hope beyond hope I can finish it, because it's not like anything I've written before, and that's increasingly rare.

Although I probably said that about "Hatchling," and about the Lara Demming novel.  I guess it doesn't take much for me to feel like I'm writing something new, when it may all feel similar (or worse, exactly the same) when read by another person.  Ah well.  There are things we do to keep from going insane (either from boredom, or from regular insanity), and for me, this is one of them.

Push-ups Today: 100
Push-ups In December: 936

I wrote an entirely new scene in my Outpost story today, which pretty much catches me up on the story.  It takes place in the future, whenever "Ten Thousand Coffins" took place.  I've struggled with ways of making Outpost III feel different from 21st Century Earth, and I might have to go through and add in slang and weird details at some point, although I don't know that I will.  I'd like to podcast about it with Big Anklevich, asking his opinion.  Maybe on Monday.

Words Today: 1565
Words in December: 5815

*I even created the Twitter hashtag #JoanieLovesChachiChallenge, but it's not trending.

No comments: