Monday, November 29, 2021

November Sweeps - Day 667

I sat down to finish watching the Beatles documentary from the night before . . . and it was gone.

Somehow, the episode had been removed from Disney+, so I never found out why George left the rehearsal sessions (and presumably the band).*

Sit-ups Today: 100
Sit-ups In November: 2966

I gave myself an extra hour at the library today, so I could really get some work done (it's possible that Big and I will record later tonight, but if we don't, I still have about ninety minutes of free space on my recorder).  And what do you know, the second I got here, I looked something up on Wikipedia . . . and there went nearly all of my extra hour.

And now I'm blogging.  Sigh.

But once I buckled down and got to working, I did alright.  The scene I worked on yesterday was lost (it's a long story), but once I got past it, I was working on a chapter that had a good flow and pace to it.  In the story, it's basically COVID-19, but with a nearly 100% mortality rate.  So I imagine the tale will grow grimmer as I go along.  I've got, I think, two or three more chapters written before I abandoned it, so I hope to just forge on after that, and get this sucker done.  Then I'll do it with another story.

I briefly mentioned this yesterday, and didn't want to talk about it, but I somehow lost all the work I did yesterday.  In order to get an accurate word count, I select a section of my manuscript, copy it into a new file, and go through it, making little additions and deletions as I go.  Then I count the words, subtract the amount still highlighted in the original document, and paste in the new version.  It's worked for me so far.

But I went online to find out the German word for "pass," and when I found it, hurrying to get the document saved before the computer logged me out (I was at, like, thirty seconds left when I was emailing it to myself), I somehow pasted the word "Passierschein" into the entire highlighted section--OVER the highlighted section.  These things happen, and they suck, but I couldn't let it beat me.  I just grabbed the saved file from Saturday (the one without Passierschein) and went through that bit again, then continued on from there.  Believe me, I've wasted way more time for reasons even more stupid than that.**

They're kicking us out now, so I guess I'll head home.

Push-ups Today: 120
Push-ups In November: 3237
 
Sadly, the month is over tomorrow.  Which means I need to do MORE push-ups and sit-ups in November than I did in October.  By my math, that means I still have to manage 283 sit-ups tomorrow and 409 push-ups.  Good luck, kid.


Words Today: 985
Words In November: 19,228

*Apparently, this was always their plan.  Two days later, the second episode had dropped off the service, and soon, night must fall.  That is the way of things, the way of the Force.

**Like the time all the computers rebooted for no reason a year ago--the last time I came in and used their systems, before bringing in my laptop instead--losing everything I had been working on that night.  Crazy that I would ever come back and do this again after that, but you know what they say Einstein said about the definition of insanity (which is one of my least-favorite sayings, right below "I could care less").
By the way, Albert Einstein never said that.  The quote was first attributed to him in the 80's, which otherwise was a pretty good decade.  Except for AIDS and that movie Stallone did with Dolly Parton, I mean.

No comments: